Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2014, 01:05 AM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Really cool! I like the video, good job.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:38 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm going to pick up 2 Vortech MP10wES powerheads as well as the wireless module for my apex. I think it's going to be pretty nice having them. I'm also picking up 6 new T5 bulbs for my fixture. ATI Blue+, Aquablue Sp., Blue+, Purple+, Aquablue Sp., Blue +(In that order). Hoping I like the color.

Cycle is going well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	31.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	222995

FrankAbagnale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:51 AM   #53
Aquarium Advice Activist

Let us know how you set up your wireless apex set up. I assume you are making a witless connection to your router?
Old 02-17-2014, 11:16 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfirman View Post
Let us know how you set up your wireless apex set up. I assume you are making a witless connection to your router?
Absolutely. I was going to hard wire the Apex, but I didn't want to run an Ethernet all the way to the Apex. I first plugged in the Apex with it hardwired. I updated everything set up my email and set up a page for me to view the Apex from anywhere. After I got the Apex updated, I bought a Netgear WNCE2001-100NAS wireless bridge. It was really easy to set up with my wireless router. I set up the bridge next to my Apex on my tank stand and ran a short Ethernet cord from the bridge to my Apex. It works out really well and the bridge was under $50.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:02 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just following up on the Apex question...

I didn't program anything too crazy. Basically I set times for my display lights and sump light to come on. Set different temperatures for my heater to run on. Set up a feed timer which shuts off my return, my skimmer, powerheads, and turns on my sump light. After five minutes they start coming back online. This is all done with the push of one button.

Also set up a feed timer for when I'm doing maintenance or water changes. My return pump, skimmer, ATO, and heaters all shut off for 30-35 minutes and my sump light comes on. This is all done with the push of one button as well!

Then I set up some email alerts. So if my Temp or pH gets to high or the power goes out, it automatically sends me an email. Pretty cool stuff.

When my vortech powerheads arrive, I will program these to go into different modes depending on the time of day.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:18 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow man your fish will have it great
Old 02-18-2014, 06:35 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tate View Post
Wow man your fish will have it great
Haha hope so. Really just trying to make my life easier. I travel for work and like to know what's going on!
Old 02-19-2014, 03:48 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Freak

One of the things that have been bothering me are how close to the water my lights are. Since it's a 6 bulb fixture, it basically covers the whole space above the tank. The legs of the light fixture only lift the light a couple inches off the top of the tank. Makes it hard to get anything in the tank, work from the top of the tank, and makes me worry about burning up corals.

I really didn't have any room to raise the light up, but was able to make a little hanging kit that gave me an extra 5-6 inches above the tank.

Name:	33.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	223612

Name:	34.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	223613
Old 02-25-2014, 09:23 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just a couple changes. I've had zero ammonia and nitrites for quite awhile and after it dropped to 0, I did a water change to lower nitrates and ordered a CUC. Major diatom outbreak but the snails and crabs are doing a good job. Just received my new ATI bulbs and they definitely give a much cleaner look. It's a good balance between white and blue. Hard to capture it on a cell phone camera. I haven't pulled the trigger on the MP10's yet. They're so expensive. I still definitely want them though. I may buy one this weekend and one a few weeks after.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393377727.509631.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	224821
Old 02-28-2014, 05:49 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Freak

Pretty pumped today. I ordered my first MP10w and it should be here by Tuesday. I also bought an Ocellaris Clown, a Black and White Ocellaris Clown, Cleaner Shrimp, a monti, an acan, and some zoa's!

Also want to give a shout out to AquaticLife. Two of my lunar lights were working intermittently so I emailed their customer support. I figured I would hear back in a week. They emailed me back in 30 minutes, told me how they upgraded the lunar lights on their new fixtures and went ahead and sent me 4 new LEDs free of charge. Awesome customer service!

Tags
build, reef, reef build, wall

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com