Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
Originally Posted by ccCapt View Post
A pH of 7.8 will not kill any fish. If that's what your LFS told you...look for a new store. Don't add any buffers to raise your pH. Whatever you add to raise pH will also raise alkalinity. A buffer will only temporarily raise pH and by the next day it will be back to where it was before. If your house is closed up, open some windows to get more fresh air in the house. One of the most common reasons for low pH (even tho 7.8 isn't really low enough to be of concern) is a high co2 level in the air in the house.
Originally Posted by My Little Ocean View Post
Look up ideal water parameters for your setup, ph buffers always a no no IMO, like capt said probably a co2 issue, for example if you have good mag (1250 - 1350) cal (350 - 450) alk (8 - 10dKH) and your ph is low at 7.8 it's definately co2 levels, point a power head to surface, open the windows and let your tank breathe ahhhh
Should I take off the top of the aquarium as well?

Chirp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
I think that maybe a bit extreme at the moment as long as you have some ventilation on your hood you should be fine, it may take a day or two depending on co2 levels but try and do it all day and test the ph at evening before your daylights go out and let us know

175Ltr Aqua Marine 900, Marisys 240 Wet/Dry,
24W UV, 17.5KG Fiji Live Rock, Temp - 25C,
SG - 1.023, Amm - Nil, NitrI - Nil, NitrA - Nil,
Ph - 8.4, Alk - 4.3 Meq, Cal - 450, Mag - 1340
My Little Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
will do! thanks for everyone's input.

Chirp is offline   Reply With Quote

ph help

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com