Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-08-2004, 11:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Index of corals by ease of care in the aquarium

Well I messed up yesterday and spend $50 on a alveopora not realizing they are close relatives to goniporas. Is there any index of corals that is maybe ranked in order of how easy they are to keep alive and care for? Or is there any chance somebody knowledgable would like to make a sticky listing some good beginner/medium/difficult corals. I don't mind researching corals before I buy them and realize I should have but if I had an idea what to look for before I even went shopping it would help a lot

How long can I expect this coral to live assuming it's decently healthy now? Any special care I should provide for it? I read about it in Eric Borneman's book Aquarium Corals and it didn't say too much. I plan on finding more info tomorrow after work if possible.

Wish I would have used this $50 for a couple frags that would have stood a chance in my tank

jamal-188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 09:43 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
Alveoporas are much hardier than their goniopora cousins and are easier to care for... so it's got a much better chance than you think. Give it moderate lighting and low to moderate current and it should be happy. Good luck!!

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." - Dennis Wholey
kreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 11:04 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
If you really want to find out about aquarium corals and ease what not I am gonna pass on some advice I got right here in these forums. Purchase Eric Bornemans book Aquarium Corals. I can also tell you from experience it is invaluable espically if you keep it in the car so when your eye is caught by one at the LFS you can hear the dribble that the LFS tells you about it. You know the spiel (It only needs light and medium flow) They hate it when you leave come back after spending 5 minutes in your car getting real info and then make an educated decision. I know it's a bit pricey but even if it keeps you from buying 1 coral that is not right for your set up it has just paid for itself.

Doan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 06:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
I actually do have that book and I still made the mistake They even have the book on a shelf at work. I actually thought this coral was the same that my brother has which looks very similar...can't remember the name of it.
jamal-188 is offline   Reply With Quote

coral, corals

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com