Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Info on star?

Hi again,

Total newb attack once again, I've decided to let the tank stand for a week or so with just 2 red leg hermits amongst the live rock and live sand. Have already seen what I think is a trochus snail and a very small un identifiable snail and assorted shrimp swimming about the gaff. That's fine, all good, free stuff! Checking on the crabs after dropping in dinner and saw what I think (after 3 hours research on line) was a harlequin serpent star. Only tiny, but my question is this. What do I do with that? From what I've read they get big, possibly eat fish, eat coral and reproduce at an alarming rate. Can anyone with previous experience of this little critter give me a heads up please? Any information is good information. Size habits etc.
thanks in advance
You guys rock
Nige

Old 10-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Post a picture. But most likely, you have mini bristle stars like all of us do. Little red/white banded guys that only stick their arms out.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Post a picture. But most likely, you have mini bristle stars like all of us do. Little red/white banded guys that only stick their arms out.
I agree they stay small and just shove their arms out of the rocks and try and catch food. But a picture would help.
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:18 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I'll try to post a picture but there is one small arm sticking from a small hole in a piece of live rock and the pictures I've taken so far will not come out. So these guys are as standard in marine tanks? Nothing been mentioned in anything I've read so far, but neither have a lot of things. That's why I love these forums. Real advice from real hobbyists.
Thanks guys

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com