Info on starting a saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ErinF90

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone! I am looking into starting a saltwater tank, maybe a 46 gallon bow front reef. I have 90 gallon planted, 46 gallon and 10 gallon planted freshwater tanks and now have the itch to go salt. I don't quite understand how to do PWC. I know I need to use RO +/- DI water but do I just add it then check the salinity and add salt if necessary? I want to just do an HOB filter instead of a sump, so can just add to sump. Also if I cycle with shrimp (we don't have pure ammonia up here in the great white north) do I put the live sand and rock then cycle or is the high ammonia bad for the sand and rock because they are live. Can they be added after I cycle? I want to be well informed before I even think of starting. I made the mistake of getting into freshwater when I knew NOTHING and the good people here at AA were a great help. Don't want to make that mistake again!:facepalm:

For PWC you will always pre mix your salt and RODI water to match your S/G. You will also want to cycle your tank with your rock and sand in the tank. Your live rock will help the cycle the tank.

Not dumb at all that's why we ask. There is tons of information out there you just got to find it. Great articles here in A/A, YouTube can also be your best friend thru this. There is a good series made by BRS on YouTube called how to start a saltwater aquarium. Lots of helpful info.

Back
Top Bottom