Information before I start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cuereus_George

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys I have a couple of FW tanks established already, but I've recently acquired a 4ft tank. I have decided on anything yet but was thinking on moving my 30gal FW into it and starting my first SW tank in the 30gal.

My first issue is filtration: I'm thinking about getting a sump(i've never run a sump before so i researched) i couldn't really find the info i want for size i have. so from tank into the sump, first bay has skimmer, 2nd a refugium which is plants and algae or live rock (is where i would also keep a calcium reactor down the line when/if i want to get corals??), onto the third bay which would have heater and return pump??

2nd issue is lighting: tank dimensions are 3x1x1.5 ft (LxWxH) I currently run a single 3ft T5. So i was looking at picking up a twin 3ft t5 and running 2 sunlight and 1 marine blue fluro. would this be suitable if i want corals later on? An upgrade to LEDs is out of my budget especially if i'm getting some quality ones.

Cheers for the help and info George :)

Well first off you will never need a calcium reactor for a tank that size. Especially for a beginner tank with just beginner to intermediate corals and not many acropora colonies.

Second, for a sump you will either need to drill your 30 gallon or buy a hob overflow box to drain the water from your display. I'd go with a 20 gallon long tank as a sump if you can fit it, the more sump volume the better. You have the chambers setup correctly with the fife being the largest.

T5s are fine as long as they are high output. I'd want a minimum of 4 bulbs for corals. You'd want to go with ATI or geismann bulbs.

There are pretty nice eBay leds 120w I believe that you can get for around $100.00 and will grow anything you want.

Thanks for the feed back :)
it's good to know i wont need a reactor.
I was aware of the overflow and was looking at doing a DIY overflow, considering prices $200+ plus shipping. something with about 400 gph.
what fife?? given context i would assume it would be the 2nd compartment with refugium??

I'll have to have another look into lighting to see what i can find on LEDs. I am located in Australia so getting things on ebay internationally i need to watch out for power plugs (dont really want to run a tranformers around tanks).

Ok so for a list of things i'll need:
over flow box (DIY)
20g sump
500gph skimmer
30 lbs liverock (could i go a cheaper route and go 50/50 dry and live rock and leave it cycle longer)
sand
algae plants
250gph return pump
2x powerheads 700gph
lighting for sump and display

did i miss anything??

Sorry autocorrect!! Lol fife is supposed to be fuge...

Yes you can definitely do 50/50 dry and live that's how I did my 40 breeder and it wasn't to much longer of a cycle.

Are you going to make your own baffles for the sump?

the baffles yea i can easily make it the way i want it. i have been looking at designs for sumps and i just confused myself. the water flow into the refugium should flow under then over or is it ok to just go straight over?? I understand you want the flow in the refugium to be calm and water flowing out will go over then under to stop bubbles in the pump

Back
Top Bottom