Inherited a bunch of rock in unknown condition and bleached, thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

echz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all. I recently inherited a bunch of rock from a tank that had unknown failures, and was looking to be able to attempt to reuse it.

I am looking to start from the extreme start, get completely rid of anything within the rock that would have the potential to cause harm to the new environment I will be putting it in.

I soaked them in a bleach solution for 24 hours, then gave them a rinse in RO/DI. They are now sitting out waiting to dry out in the sun for a few days.

Which brings me I guess to where I'm asking for the advice ... I was thinking after 2-3 days, giving the rock a soak in some more RO/DI for a few days with some dechlorinator and a powerhead. Once done soaking it, I was thinking another sun bath for a few days, and then employing the saltwater "cooking" method.

Once "cooked" I was then going to place it in a new 40 gallon saltwater setup and begin the tank from scratch and start cycling.

Can anyone offer me any pointers as if I'm going too overboard in cleaning the rock, or not doing enough? I'm going to attempt to attach a pic of what they're looking like now ... Thanks a lot for any help!

Attachments

• 2012-04-03 18.41.06.jpg
    2012-04-03 18.41.06.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 2012-04-03 18.41.20.jpg
    2012-04-03 18.41.20.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 73
Your methodology sounds good. I would double check and find out if any copper medication was used in the previous tank the rock was in. Copper can leach out of porous structures slowly. If you're going fowlr it's not a big deal. Definitely something to check if you're going reef.

Back
Top Bottom