Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-19-2004, 12:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

inherited a tank, wanting to make sure the fish are happy.

hi, i'm new here. My neighbor moved away, but he gave us his aquarium because he felt that he couldnt take it with him (too much hassle maybe). anyway, so we have this tank, but im curious as to how many gallons it is. my parents like the tank, although they didn't really want it at first but didn't want to pass it up. i ended up liking it quite a bit and it's very interesting. i'm curious as to the gallons so i don't end up overstocking (or plainly just know when enough is enough, i like what i've got in it, and i want to make sure all the fish are happy and comfortable) it doesn't look to be an extraordinarily large tank. it measures ~3'11'' long, ~1ft wide, ~1'5'' tall. any reply/suggestion would be highly appreciated, thank you.

Old 06-19-2004, 12:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like it might be around 45 gal. Of and BTW Welcome to AA.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 12:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

thank you so so much. ack, it seems a bit small.. was praying to god it was ~55gal at least.. well, we have two 1inch striped damsels, one big ~2(maybe a little less)domino damsel, a ~1 1/2inch sebae, an anenome(we have proper lighting.. my grandma helped us out.. she has a developed big tank), a 2inch coral beauty, a coral banded shrimp, a blue linckia starfish, a bicolor pseudochromis a ~2inch yellow tang, and some strange little 1inch fish that i dont know what it is. is this too crowded?

p.s. it appears i posted my newbie question in the wrong forum. totally didn't see the starting out forum... sorry!
Old 06-19-2004, 01:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not sure it's in the wrong forum exactly. I wouldn't worry about that. I think the calc. is off cause I have a 55 gal that is 4 ft x 1ft x 1 1/2 ft and that's about the same measurements you gave for your tank. So it might be a 55 after all. Maybe one of the mods. can help with this.

I will tell you the tang has gotta go. Min. tank requirements for a tang is 75 gal. You may want to talk to you lfs and see if he has a smaller one you can trade down to. of maybe trade him in on something smaller.

Yes you are a little overcrowded but if you get the tang out you would probally be ok as long as you watch the water parm. very closely.

HTH.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 06-19-2004, 01:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks a bunch now to attempt to tell my parents that. hah.
Old 06-19-2004, 01:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

General rule is 1inch for every 5 gal of SW.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 06-19-2004, 02:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
thats great that you got a great deal on a tank like that! Free just can't be beat!
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 03:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

i absolutely looove all my lil fishies. heres a pic of my purty clownfish..

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photop...sort=1&cat=500
Old 06-19-2004, 07:12 PM   #9

A few things

1. That tank is to small for any tang

2. A linka will more than likely starve over time

3. That anemone is severely bleached

What type of lighting do you have?

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com