Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-26-2013, 02:18 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapperski View Post
I don't intend on getting anything for the tank right now except lighting. I really need to get a quarantine tank set up before I even think about purchasing any fish or corals. Just getting information right now so I can plan my tank accordingly. As far as water movement, how would I gauge how much movement there actually is in the tank?
What type of HOB filters are they? Seems you would need to add some additional flow through two or more PH depending on their size and if you plant to switch to a sump/refugium setup. You're turnover on the two filters you have added together divided by your water volume would give you what your looking for.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:38 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

One is an emperor 400, the other is a whisper 60. If I calculated correctly, I have a 7.68 on the water flow.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapperski View Post
One is an emperor 400, the other is a whisper 60. If I calculated correctly, I have a 7.68 on the water flow.
20 - 40 times the volume of your tank is what your flow should be. I've got a 40 gallon tank with equipment moving 800 gph. 20x my volume.

Building a reef is like going back in time and being 5 years old at Christmas!
Pisces3473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also, check out, "lighting - best bang for your buck" it's a thread around here.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good move on investing in a quarantine tank. It will pay for iteself pretty quickly.

Also, the damsel that you have while very hardy, also tends to be very mean and territorial - especially for its size.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:02 AM   #16

The damsel I have can go, if need be. Which he probably will, considering he's been alone in a 95 gallon tank for at least the past 6 months, maybe longer. Also explains why the guy I got the tank from wasn't too concerned about letting him go. So I definitely need to upgrade my filters before I get my lighting. I'm only moving 900 gph, which is just under 10%. Would that be alright for fish only? And upgrade my filters before I invest in lighting and corals?
Old 04-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

U can get wavemakers for a descent price $35 and up. I just got an 800gph nano Koralia for $37 on amazon. Put one on either long tank side of your and that will help a lot. Ther are bigger too. Check amazon or bulk reef supply, dr fosters and smith are good too. Don't forget your LR is ur bio filter. If your looking for an HOB top fin makes a 300gph which I've got on two different tank.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #18

Just ordered a 1200 gph PH, combined with my 800 gph I get from my 2 HOB filters, will give me just over 20% water flow in my tank. I also just got a cleaner shrimp on impulse and a small 25 gallon tank with filter for my quarantine tank. Next up will be some more CUC, then lighting. Unless there is anything that would be an absolute necessity before I dish out the money for lighting.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sounds like you're moving right along.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:54 PM   #20

Okay, I have a question about a piece of my live rock in my tank. I have a piece of live rock that seems to be growing something black (I'm assuming some kind of algae) here's the picture

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-908902342.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	170869

Sorry it's not the greatest pic, but I'm at work and is the only one I have at the moment.

I started the tank approximately 2 weeks ago, and like I stated earlier in my post, transported everything together (water and all). My damsel is seeming to be perfectly fine, and the rest of my LR seems to be doing alright, have a lot of reds and purples growing on the rest.

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com