Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-03-2011, 09:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Initial Livestock Question

I am at the end of my fishless cycle in my 45 gal reef tank and we are getting ready to start adding livestock. I have been going under the assumption that a pair of clowns would be good to start with because they are hearty and everyone loves a clown right? A neighbor just told me she heard it is best to make the clowns the last addition because they are territorial. Now I am confused. Haven't totally decided on what all will be going in but clowns will be on the list no matter what.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:51 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I added my clowns first and had no aggression issues. I think ALOT of people do them first. I wouldnt worry too much about them being first or last, just get the fish that you want.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks Carey. That is kind of what I thought. I think I am going to stick with my plan.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have been told it would be best to wait a month or two before attempting corals. If I want my clown fish to host with Anemone coral will it do so if the coral is added later? How hard are the Anemones to care for and which would be good for your standard Nimo type Clown?
Old 08-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ahh the age old question about nems. They require pristine water, an established tank and LOTS of light. There is no guarantee that your clowns will host it though it's hit or miss. Mine didnt like my nem when I had it but hosted an elegance coral I had, almost to death actually. :-(

Once you feel your water is table enough you can start adding corals. I would start with the easy ones first, like zooas and leathers maybe some mushrooms....
Old 08-03-2011, 01:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like a plan. Thanks again Carey.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Good luck! Make sure we get pics when you stock!
Old 08-03-2011, 02:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Good luck! Make sure we get pics when you stock!
LOL You can count on it. After all the waiting and work I am going to show it off. LOL

I changed the aqua-scape up a bit the other night and almost posted a pic of that but I figured to anyone but me, they would never know the difference. The way I have it now gives it some additional elevation, more tunnels and holes but the trade off is you can see a lot more of the base rock. On the bright side, one of my base rocks seems to already be showing some signs of seeding. In a couple spots I see some purples and red. After only 3 weeks that surprised me. Or, it could be wishful thinking on my part. hehehehe
Old 08-03-2011, 02:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

This is your thread, post any pictures you like! LOL I do that myself, I'm sure you guys are sick of all my pictures but it lets me go back over my threads and see how I had the tank etc etc... It's pretty useful, at least to me.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
This is your thread, post any pictures you like! LOL I do that myself, I'm sure you guys are sick of all my pictures but it lets me go back over my threads and see how I had the tank etc etc... It's pretty useful, at least to me.
I keep going to your threads to find the pictures but all your threads have 150 pages. LOL Makes for a long ordeal trying to find the ones with the pictures. heheheheh I really want to see the "My last 125 gal build". Feel free to post a couple here if you are up to it. I would love to see.

Tags
live, livestock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com