Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-17-2003, 02:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Initial Water question for newbie

Wanted to know what your thoughts were on my first introductory water. I plan to use a 3 inch DSB with a seeding of LS. About 75 pounds of uncured live rock. The lighting that I have should be sufficient for now
( compact 65w actininc,65w 10000k). I have a 55g corner tank with overflow that runs to the sump and returns via a pump of 700 gph at 0” head) . Yes there is a skimmer in the sump.Now for the real question ; since I do not have a RO/DI yet should I mix my own saltwater or buy the pre-mix at the LFS at 99 cents a gal? I am worried that I will mess up the pretreatment of the water. Or will this suffice since this is a cycling stage?

Other newbie questions…

If I put a DSB in my sump do I need a light. or only if I decide to have a refugium?

Under this scenario how long would you estimate it would take my tank to cycle?

Thanks so much in advance if it were not for the helpful people on this board I do not think I would pursue this hobby.

Old 07-17-2003, 03:22 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I would mix my own. I use Instant Ocean salt and I think you'll find that most folks here also use that brand. Buy enough RO water and mix it up in a new trash can. You'll need a hydrometer if you don't already have one. Mix the water to 1.025 and let it sit overnight with a heater and PH running in it. You shouldn't initially have to add anything else to the water...the salt mix will have everything you need in it. It pays to test it anyway as salt batches may vary some.
You don't need light for a DSB only. I don't think a DSB in the sump will benefit you though. You do need light for a fuge.
Average cycling time is about 6 weeks. Some tanks will cycle faster and some may take longer. No way to really predict it.

Old 07-17-2003, 03:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I guess a Power head is merely a submersible pump like the mag dirve that I ordered???

So I just dump the pump in the can turn it on and the circulation will mix the salt??

During the cycling of my tank what temp should I maintain.????

Will the salinity vary as the tank cycles ?

SOrry for all the questions.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:51 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlips12
Thanks for the reply. I guess a Power head is merely a submersible pump like the mag dirve that I ordered???
Yep.

Quote:
So I just dump the pump in the can turn it on and the circulation will mix the salt??
Yep

Quote:
During the cycling of my tank what temp should I maintain.????
The same temp you plan on keeping your tank at. usualy around 80f

Quote:
Will the salinity vary as the tank cycles ?
Cycling should not affect salinity. The only thing that really affects salinity is evaporation. (note also that temperature changes will change the reading even though the amount of salt in the water has not changed. )

Quote:
SOrry for all the questions.
No need to apologize, thats what we're here for!
Old 07-17-2003, 09:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

live rock addition

When I do get my uncured LR in do I need to brush or clean it slighly or just add it to the new tank?

If so do I use straight RO water or the saltwater?

Since I am gettting the rock on line. How quickly must I get it into the tank.

Sorry for the long list but here is the last one ( for the moment). I will have to monitor the ammonia ,nitrite, nitrate, and ph levels. What kit do you recommend to use that is somewhat user friendly?

big thanks

dudes and dudettes
Old 07-17-2003, 10:32 PM   #6
steve-s

Re: live rock addition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishlips12
When I do get my uncured LR in do I need to brush or clean it slighly or just add it to the new tank?
If so do I use straight RO water or the saltwater?
Since I am gettting the rock on line. How quickly must I get it into the tank.
Sorry for the long list but here is the last one ( for the moment). I will have to monitor the ammonia ,nitrite, nitrate, and ph levels. What kit do you recommend to use that is somewhat user friendly?
big thanks
dudes and dudettes
I answered your questions >>here<<.

Cheers
Steve

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com