inlets and outlets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MERCTECH

Aquarium Advice Regular
just started a 55 gallons acrylic tank, added tap water, sea salt (waited for it dissolve) then added live sand (40 pounds). i have a 1 1/2" bulk head fitting on the left upper side of the tank (for the drain). my out flow is about 12 to 15 inches away from the right side of the tank. my question is...... shouldn't it be in the right hand corner of the tank for better circulation??

Never add salt directly into the tank and wait for it to dissolve,PLZZZZZZ.
Always do it seperate.and outlet just need to be as far as possible from inlet, if thatz wat u asking.

You will probably have to add a powerhead to improve circulation. How much water is going through your sump?

oyf709 said:
Never add salt directly into the tank and wait for it to dissolve,PLZZZZZZ.
Always do it seperate.and outlet just need to be as far as possible from inlet, if thatz wat u asking.
there is nothing wrong with adding salt directly to the tank if it is the first fill of the tank... for the first fill, if you add tap or RO/DI water to the tank to test the seals and verify your equipment is working then there is no problem adding salt directly to the "fresh" water.

now, for EVERY other time you replace water in the tank, you will need to pre-mix the saltwater and ensure it matches the properties of the tank water before adding the new saltwater to the tank.

also, when adding "top-off" water to the tank to account for evaporation, you will need to add water WITHOUT salt. the pure water will evaporate and the salt will be left behind... so you just need to add water to account for evaporation...

just felt the need to clear that up!

~mike

Back
Top Bottom