Installing Sump Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robmar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gal main tank and would like to use a 10 or 20 gal sump.

What is the best way to get water from the main tank to the sump. Looking to cycle the tank 10 times per hour.

I have read about syphons as well as overflows but cannot figure which would work best.

An overflow box will work fine. I've been using one for several months and haven't had a single problem. The pre-filter in the box is very easy to access for cleaning.

Your cycle rate is dependant on you pump output and your head height. Typically, tanks need to have the water pumped about 3' up from the sump.

One caution:

Make sure that your overflow box is big enough to handle the flow rate of your return pump (at your head height) or the display tank will overflow. For a 55 gal tank that should be no problem.

MarineDepot sells overflow boxes that look very good. I have one made by ProClear Aquatics that looks clunky but works perfect.

Thanks I will have to look into that. What do you keep in your sump? Im thinking heater and skimmer and i read about growing algae but how do you keep it from entering the main tank?

growing algae but how do you keep it from entering the main tank?

You'll have macro algaes in there (large stuff). They don't wash into the tank. You're gonna need light down there.

Also, go for the 20 if you have a choice. Heater and skimmer is fine. There'll be a return pump also. Maybe even another pump and a UV hanging over it one day.

I have seen may sumps that various hobbyists on this site use have dividers to separate where the pump, heater and skimmer are. Is this necessary? Also do you recommend UV over the sump to start? If not what other light choices do I have?

You need to have baffles/dividers to keep constant water levels where you'll have the skimmer (or you'll never get them to work consistently as water level changes), and where you'll have macro.

Back
Top Bottom