Instant cycle sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Breakthecycle2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just started up a new tank yesterday, a Nuvo 16. I added a 20lb bag of Bimini Pink sand. I forgot the exact brand (but it was loaded with water) on the package it said "instant cycle. Add fish instantly". Is this even remotely true? I have not and will not add any fish yet. I was simply wondering how they can make such a claim?

Smart move on waiting, if it was that easy everybody would use it. The tank show adds stuff and throws in beautiful fish I wonder how many actual make it.Test your water and you will know when your ready. Might speed it up.

The live sand from my experiance will speed up the cycle process but does not instant cycle the tank. You will get an amonia spike in a couple days then a nitrite spike. Be prepared for water changes. I have kept on top of mine so the peramitors havent gotten out of hand. My brotherinlaw how ever tried the same sand to " instant" cycle his tank and did not keep up testing and water changes and his nitrates and nitrites are off the charts. Even with many water changes he hasnt gotten the levels down in over a week.

Back
Top Bottom