Instant Ocean Salt Mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

merelymiche

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am installing new tanks into my home today, 110g on main floor connected to 75g in basement (where it ties into the water line for RO/DI water).

My current setup is a 55g FOWLR that I have previously purchased Instant Ocean Sea Salt mix for, of which I have just run out of.

If I plan to move towards a reef aquarium, should I go ahead and use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals from the start?

Thanks!
MB

i use instant ocean personally and i maintain proper levels but its really up to you, everyone has a favorite salt for one reason or another but i stick with instant ocean cause 'if it aint broke dont fix it' lol

There`s nothing wrong with using that. Try it out and see how it does for you.

Instant ocean certainly will not hurt your corals however I would recommend reef crystals. You wouldn't have to start over with new water either, I would save your old water I would just start doing water changes with reef crystals when you've gotten it setup reef

Not to Hijack the thread, I was thinking about the same thing. I've got a 30 FOWLR and have been using Instant Ocean Salt. Want to start on corals soon so I wondered if I should now switch to Instant Ocean Reef Crystals or is the regular salt OK?

Can I just start doing PWC's with the Reef Crystals even though all the water was with the regular Instant Ocean?

Glad I'm not the only one with theses questions. :)

Regular salt doesn't hurt the corals but I would recommend switching to reef crystals. But to answer your question, yes it would be okay to just start doing water changes with reef crystals even though the water that is currently in your tank is regular salt

it would be ok to switch to the reef crystals, it just adds more trace elements to the water that a reef system needs.

i've always used reef crystals even though right now i only have a FOWLR system. my coralline algae and halmedia are thriving

it would be ok to switch to the reef crystals, it just adds more trace elements to the water that a reef system needs.

i've always used reef crystals even though right now i only have a FOWLR system. my coralline algae and halmedia are thriving

I hadn't considered the reef crystals effect on my coraline. I maybe should've considered this earlier!

Thanks for all the advice :)

well the reef crystals do have more trace elements like calcium magnesium and strontium which are all needed for coralline growth

Back
Top Bottom