Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-24-2004, 10:01 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

instant ocean salt not dissolving completeley...

i set up my 55 gallon w/ ro/di water, and all the equipment is hooked up, overflow, 18 gallon sump, return pump, and 2 maxijet 1200 powerheads. i added the salt on saturday, it is now tuesday and there are still salt crystals that have not dissolved on the bottom of the tank. how long is it going to take to completeley dissolve? did i do something wrong? the water temp has been at a constant 80 deg, the ph is about 8.2, and i checked the sg and it is 1.0235. thanks for any suggestions.

Old 08-24-2004, 10:21 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like you did everything right so something must have precipitated out.. try to remove whats left.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 10:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

a little bit...or a lot? teaspoon, or a cup?

might just try mixing it around with your hand...but I have to wonder if there's a dead zone of water current and that's why this won't finish mixing.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:38 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
How didyou add the salt? Did you sift it in? Dump it in? Clearly you added the salt to the water and not the water to the salt right?

Sounds alot like precip like atari suggested. If thst the case it wont ever disolve as its not salt but instead its calcium and other trace eleements that have precipitated out of soultion slightly.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 11:16 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is always best to mix salt out of the tank and then add the salt water to the tank. I would do as others have said and just stir it up so it mixes. I mix all my water in a 35 gal trash can with a heater and PH. I let the salt mix for at least 24 hours before I add it to my tanks. They say this is the best way to mix salt. Good luck..

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 11:22 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

wow thanks for the quick replies. yes, i added the salt to the water and just scooped it in... i didnt know that it could be left over trace elements, that is interesting and it makes sense now. ill try to scoop it out... it's probably about a teaspoon or even less. would any livestock get harmed from this? i plan on adding lr very soon to cycle the tank. thanks again.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would test the alk and PH of your newly mixed water. I constantly had precip and thought nothing of it, however, a large change caused my tank to crash. I tested the mix and the alk would not even register on the test (over 50 dkh). It was a bad batch of IO, although my calls were never returned after I sent back the remaining salt. They replaced it, but I never got specifics on the salt (i.e. if it was an isolated problem, etc.).

HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
instant ocean, salt, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com