Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-13-2003, 08:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to younghistorians
Interested in Clownfish-where to start?

Hi all-
I'm going to say that I am VERY new to the aquarium world. Ive had fish as a kid, but I strictly followed the manual, and had tetras.

Now, im interested in setting up a tank and getting a couple clownfish. However, I'm lost. What would be needed in terms of tank size, type of fish, temperature, food, lighting, practically everything.

I appreciate all answers, and thanks!

Old 12-13-2003, 09:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

As someone new to saltwater tanks I would suggest trying to get the biggest tank possible. For 2 clowns you should really have a minimum of 20 gallons or more and that will not allow you to add any other fish. They may seem like small cute fish but do in fact need a good size territory and are very aggressive fish.

But mostly I suggest that you go to the front page of this website and there are lots of great articles about setting up tanks and what you need. Then go to your Local fish store and see what is available. The more info you can give us on possible setups the more we can start sending you in the right direction. Plus it is easy to give you info on all of the best equipment out there but that might not be in your budget (this can get a bit pricey).

Old 12-14-2003, 12:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to younghistorians
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkos
As someone new to saltwater tanks I would suggest trying to get the biggest tank possible. For 2 clowns you should really have a minimum of 20 gallons or more and that will not allow you to add any other fish. They may seem like small cute fish but do in fact need a good size territory and are very aggressive fish.

But mostly I suggest that you go to the front page of this website and there are lots of great articles about setting up tanks and what you need. Then go to your Local fish store and see what is available. The more info you can give us on possible setups the more we can start sending you in the right direction. Plus it is easy to give you info on all of the best equipment out there but that might not be in your budget (this can get a bit pricey).
Now, I'm starting to think 1 clownfish would be good to start with. I currently have a 10 gallon tank in storage...could I use that?

What kind of sample set up would be best?
Old 12-14-2003, 01:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

With a 10 gallon nano tank you really can only have the 1 fish at most. You will need to get live rock, live sand to get going. Add some powerheads for circulation and if you have a filter take out all of the media and use it only for circulation.

A 10 gallon nano tank isn't necessarily hard to do but in saltwater the bigger the better. Small tanks have their own special problems.

After reading the articles on this site for setting up a tank I suggest also checkin gout www.nano-reef.com . They have other great articles, specifically for small saltwater tanks like you want to set up.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

i agree with the larger the better. It is not harder to suceed with smaller tanks, they are just less forgiving of mistakes or fluctuations in water quality. If i wanted a mated pair of clownfish i would prob be looking at around 20g. Most of us started with a narrow focus as to what we wnated to keep, but i assure you this hobby is very addicting, so it may be worth the few extra dollars to go with a setup in the 30-40g range because this will allow you to keep a few more things when the "bug" catches you-

-for specifics, you will need a tank/stand obviously
-lights- if you are going to only keep fish normal output flourescents are fine
-I would recommend going with live rock/live sand for filtration vice a cannister or similiar mechanical means
-one or two powerheads would be sufficient for a fish only, you could prob get away one for a while
-flake food, frozen cubes, brine shrimp would all be appropriate for feeding clowns- but resist the urge to overfeed
-a heater will be required, size depends on the size of the tank, temp should be in the neighborhood of 78-82 degrees

These are some things to think about. Let us know before you buy anything and we can help you through the process.

Tags
clown, clownfish, start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com