Interested in starting a saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have an extra 29 gallon tank and am very interested(nothing definite) in going saltwater, low tech reef.(in other words, 101 zoas lol)
So I have a few questions-
If I have 35-40 lbs of rock and 35-40 lbs of sand, what other filtration is necessary?
What equipment is necessary?
What lights do I need for zoas, and maybe a couple others?
Is this stocklist overload?-
2- Clownfish, one orange, one B&W
1- Six Line Wrasse
1- Neon Blue Goby
1- Zebra Barred Dartfish
Anything else/ other suggestions?
Would this be a good CUC?-
5- Blue Leg Hermits
5- Red Leg Hermits
1- Dwarf Colored Feather Duster(not CUC just had to add it in)
1- Peppermint Shrimp
3- Nerite Snail
1- Tank Bred Peppermint Shrimp(don't get the difference, except the colors)
1- Margarita Snail
3- Bumble Bee Snail
3- Nassarius Snail
1- Banded Trochus Snail
3- Cerith Snail
Are these good coral choices?-
Zoas- lots of different colors
Candy Cane
Torch
Flower Pot
What test kits do I need?

Thanks!!

If you're going to keep any corals you really should invest in some decent lights! Go LED with a dimmable feature. Aquaray do a good range. ATI are also very good.

What knowledge do you already have on reef/saltwater aquaria?

You will also need a skimmer!

begginersluck said:
If you're going to keep any corals you really should invest in some decent lights! Go LED with a dimmable feature. Aquaray do a good range. ATI are also very good.

What knowledge do you already have on reef/saltwater aquaria?

You will also need a skimmer!

Thanks for the info! Lol I'll be waiting awhile for my guppies to earn enough money for me to get dimmable LEDs but it'll save me hassle in the long run.
I know almost nothing. Notta. Zip.
I though skimmers were only necessary for tanks over 55 gallons? I'll be happy to get one though

You could get the LED's and get the controller to dim the at a later date. That way you save the hassle of having 2 sets of lights.

A protein skimmer is one of the most important parts of you SW filtration. Without one your fish waste will likely end up clogging up elsewhere and you will most likely have nitrate problems.

What i would recommend is to take it as slow as possible and dont rush into anything!

Also take advantage of this site and youtube. Post ALL your idea's on here before making any decisions. That way we will help you and give you advice from our previous experiences.

If I have 35-40 lbs of rock and 35-40 lbs of sand, what other filtration is necessary?
What type of rock / sand is it? Not all is appropriate for a SW tank.

What equipment is necessary? Opinions vary, but I'd recommend a skimmer and RODI if going with corals.

What lights do I need for zoas, and maybe a couple others? A 4 bulb T5HO should be fine assuming new good quality bulbs.

You really need to research the needs of the animals you listed. One or both clowns will die in a tank that size in a mixed species situation and the CUC is far too large and varied IMO for a tank that size. Have you looked at the SW articles or searched the SW forum? There is a ton of good info available on the topic.

You do not need an expensive LED fixture for a low tech tank. If it's in the budget, then knock yourself out, but otherwise I'd stick to T5 HOs for cost effectiveness. A 2 or 4 bulb fixture could support everything on the list with the exception of the flower pot (Goniopora), which I would not recommend purchasing at all. Even a lot of experienced hobbyists can't keep them alive.

Is this stocklist overload?-
2- Clownfish, one orange, one B&W
1- Six Line Wrasse
1- Neon Blue Goby
1- Zebra Barred Dartfish

Too many fish here IMO. I'd go for the clown pair and either the sixline OR the dartfish. No more fish, that's plenty. ;)

5- Blue Leg Hermits
5- Red Leg Hermits
1- Dwarf Colored Feather Duster(not CUC just had to add it in)
1- Peppermint Shrimp
3- Nerite Snail
1- Tank Bred Peppermint Shrimp(don't get the difference, except the colors)
1- Margarita Snail
3- Bumble Bee Snail
3- Nassarius Snail
1- Banded Trochus Snail
3- Cerith Snail

You've got way too much going on here for a 29. The margarita snail can't right itself if it falls over, and iirc it prefers cooler water than the other stuff you want. Bumblebees don't do a whole lot IME and you won't see much of them. Hermits may kill your snails for their shells. They can be a pain.

Are these good coral choices?-
Zoas- lots of different colors
Candy Cane
Torch
Flower Pot
Yes, with the exception of the Goniopora as mentioned above. Zoas are the easiest to keep out of that list, so I'd start there. If you like mushrooms, they're a great beginner choice too. Lots of colors.

Filtration- you'll get mixed opinions. Read up on sumps and see if you want to go that route. If so, have a glass shop drill the back of your tank. Don't waste your money on HOB overflows- speaking from experience, they can be an absolute nightmare.

Thanks for all the information everyone! Very helpful
So stock would be the clowns and the wrasse. I haven't any clue how to make a good CUC.
I'll be sure to read some of the articles.
The rock and sand would be live/base rock and live sand.

Just buy dry aragonite. Much cheaper than the bagged LS and becomes live anyway.

severum mama said:
Just buy dry aragonite. Much cheaper than the bagged LS and becomes live anyway.

Good! Less it is, happier I am

I have a problem. I may need both of my extra tanks! Hopefully not though as now I'm thinking I want to do a half reef half freshwater(divided) tank with lots of zoas and plants! And maybe acclimate guppies to saltwater so it looks like combined tanks. Sooooo many choices!!!

I have a 29G reef in progress now. Here's what I have as far as equipment
Skilter 250 filtration(built in skimmer)
24" odyssea T5HO light 96 total watts, and in the tank I have 5 types of zoas, 2 mushrooms, green hammer, frogspawn, Kenya tree, ponapes bird nest, and a Marshall island hammer. All doing awesomely :)

Back
Top Bottom