intro into coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

z_dano

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to get into corals more (i have some mushroom, pulsing xenia sic, and some favia? They all came on lr) but know very little at the moment. Does anyone have a recommendation on a book or a good website I can check? Thanks

Also, kind of a noob question but..... Do most people generally avoid putting lr up against the back glass? I assume it would be preferable to put lr right against the back wall but idk... Mine isn't now but i was going to rearrange this weekend.

I have my LR against my back glass. Something to remember when doing rock work is MAKE SURE your base rock is against the bottom glass. Otherwise any sand sifters/movers can compromise the strength of the base and you could end up with a flooded room/broken tank. I put my rock in first then my sand to make sure it was solid.

As far as corals, What lights are you running?

I also have mine up against the back glass, but I added egg crate as a base for my rockwork before adding in any sand. If done right then it isn't going to be a problem.

In terms of places for information, it just so happens that you are on one! There is an articles section that can give you information. If you have any questions, then simply ask them in the forum.

Thanks for the replies!
Sadly I put my system together kind of backwards. I got the tank and live sand. Then put everthing else together and got it running before I put in lr.. I can dig it down but my sand bed is pretty deep, wouldn't disturbing the deep sand bed be a no-no?

I never thought about checking the article section... Thanks!

Should be fine just make sure the rocks are buried all the way to the glass. Twist them and push down is a good way to minimally disturb the sand bed.

h8z2luze said:
Should be fine just make sure the rocks are buried all the way to the glass. Twist them and push down is a good way to minimally disturb the sand bed.

Thanks, ill do that tomorrow.

Oh, as far as lighting... I'm going to be using the ecoxotic panorama pro led's. My lfr suggested 3 so I'm going to be starting with that. I have a t5 that I'm already scrapping, every 2 months bulbs were burning out and I was getting an alge problem that was corrected once I went to led.
I also have that marineland submergeable led (21") but the light isn't nearly as nice as the ecoxotic's... It kind of washes everything out.

I also have mine up against the back glass, but I added egg crate as a base for my rockwork before adding in any sand. If done right then it isn't going to be a problem.

In terms of places for information, it just so happens that you are on one! There is an articles section that can give you information. If you have any questions, then simply ask them in the forum.

Ditto on the egg crate. You dont want pressure points on the glass if you can avoid it.

Another good source for info is LiveAquaria.com

They have a lot of info on the needs of each type of coral including pH, temp, feeding requirements, lighting, water flow, etc.

Retired_AF said:
Ditto on the egg crate. You dont want pressure points on the glass if you can avoid it.

Another good source for info is LiveAquaria.com

They have a lot of info on the needs of each type of coral including pH, temp, feeding requirements, lighting, water flow, etc.

Cool thanks

Back
Top Bottom