Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-27-2004, 02:31 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you are just starting your tank and you have no fish in it now, I would recommend getting all your LR now. That way you can use it to help cycle the tank. When you get the LR there will be some die off, so you will have to "cure" it. The curing process will set off alot of ammonia and is toxic to fish and other living things. Getting it all first will help your whole tank cycle. If you chose to add some later, you would have to be sure it was cured or cure it yourself in a container before you add it to your tank so you don't have an ammonia spike and kill everything in your tank.

Old 01-27-2004, 02:37 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

The more live rock the better. I would add at least 100 lbs, but you dont need to add that right away because the cost may be prohibitive. I have heard that you should add 1.5 lbs of live rock per gallon, but I have never really found this out to be true. The more live rock you add, the more bio load your tank can take. So, depending on what you eventually want to keep, that will determine how much you should add. If you want to take it slow, then 40 is a great start. Just add slowly and make sure that any new rocks you add are fully cured. I had a 40 gallon tank that I used to cure base rock. I would cure it for a few months, checked the level in the curing tank and then added the rock when the parameters were right on the money.

Old 01-27-2004, 02:37 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would get all the rock you need now...for a 90 gal , i think the minimun you would mneed is about 180lbs. If you get it all now, it will help your tank cycle and you won't have to worry about ammonia spikes if you were to add more later. It will also be easier to deal with any unwanted hitchhikers if there are no fish in the tank.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:39 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

sorry for the second post! I knew i already replied to this thread!
Old 01-27-2004, 02:46 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey guys, with the talk of "unwanted hitchhikers", what kind of unwanted hitchhikers do you usually end up with in LR and what harm do they do?
Old 01-27-2004, 07:34 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to BONESTOCK
My guess would be Mantis shrimp, pistol shrimp, tons of bristle worms....some types of crabs....not to sure though... :|
Old 01-27-2004, 10:48 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

The general rule is 1-1.5 lbs or rock per gallon .... but yeah you may want to just get this out of the way and buy it all now if it is feesable.. But yeah put it all in now before the fish..

Doan
Old 01-27-2004, 02:21 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

contact your local water district, they are required by law to provide you with an analysis of the tap water coming to you home. it will list all the stuff that is in it, chlorine, phosphates, metals, hardness -everything. you may be pleasantly suprised at how good your water is (hopefully). Mine is so good that I don't need RO/DI, just a de-chlorinator.
50lbs LR
2" cc on 3/4 plenum
3" sugar aragonite in fuge with hair algae
20w white NO in fuge
65w pc 50/50 (2 bulbs)
20w actinit 2 damsels
1 TR clown
shrooms and zoos
h2o quality is solid 0's. 80 d.
sacramentofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 02:43 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have about 3 lbs of LR in a 70 gallon we just set up at work. I have ordered 40 lbs from Liverocks.com and since it is the Keys rock I was not worried about putting it in all at once... We only have two fish but should I worry about putting the rock in all at once.. I really thought we'd be ok???
Old 01-28-2004, 12:13 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to WildFlower
I started my 46 gal tank a month ago with tap. Added live bacteria and only 15 lbs of live rock, I let all that settle down a bit, then added 2 clowns (w/anemone that they were glued to @ the LFS,) 3 damsels... Two casualties so far, one of my clowns , and the anemone . I made the mistake of listening to employees at the store that knew very little more then I did.. lesson learned (found another store.) Only other problem so far is rather high phosphate level.

To combat the high phosphate I purchased a product called No_Phos.. my NEW LFS store recommend it. Between the no-phos and standard water changes, phosphate level is down to reasonable.. BUT.. I was reading earlier that anything other then water changes to bring the level down can be hazardous to the tank.. Anyone have any experience with this product, or any comments on my remedy for the phos level?

BTW, about the Keys rock... I had the opportunity to talk to Ron over the weekend from www.liverocks.com They were in the keys harvesting LR.. from what Ron said this harvest is awesome... I learned about them through this forum.. I was about ready to take the 4 hour drive and get the pick of the harvest.. unfortunately the timing for me did not work out. These guys do seem genuine and were very helpful. Hopefully soon I will be able to get the deal of the day (no shipping) when I drive over to pick up the LR. May your tanks prosper, WildFlower

Tags
live, liverock, rock, started, tan, tap water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com