Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2004, 03:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Mach
introducing liverock in a tap water started tank?

Hey Everyone,

What are your thought about adding liverock to a tank started up with tap water. My tank has been up and running for over 2 weeks. The initial tank filling was filled with tap water. I plan on using RO water for my water changes in the future. I was looking at keys rock from liverocks.com and was thinking of ordering 40lbs of it. But Mike from Liverocks.com suggested that the rock from the Keys would not do well due to the tap water. He suggested base rock instead but also told me it does not look as pleasing as the key rock.

Anyone ever introduce live rock into a tank with tap water? What should I do?

Thanks,
Anthony

Old 01-26-2004, 03:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I still use tap water and I have 45lbs of Fiji and 60lbs FL rock. Tap water normally promotes unwanted algae growth but works for me. I do plan on an RO/DI unit in the future but it is not in the budget yet.

Old 01-26-2004, 03:54 PM   #3

thanks ellisz,

You just made me a happy man. Hopefully someothers have had good results like you. This way it would be easier for me to make my decision
Old 01-26-2004, 05:44 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I started my first tank with trated tap water and had no significant issues. Just be sure you use a quality dechlorinator to treat it, and if at all possible have the water mixed and well aged before introducing the LR. At least 3-4 days, IMO.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Test your water (from the tap) for phosphate & nitrate levels. If levels are low to none & the water in your tank is declorinated and running for a few weeks, then I would give it a try.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's how I started my first tank. Dumped in the sand, added tap water, added salt, stir. Then I added some LR, and cycled the tank with shrimp as well. In retrospect, maybe I didn't need the shrimp.

About the only problem I had was a massive diatom bloom. After the tank cycled I added ten hermits and they cleaned up the problem in about two weeks.

But now I use RO water only for top-offs and water changes.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I started my tank woth tap water as well.....don 't be suprised if you have an algea bloom thought...after using ro water for water changes and top off's for a while, you will have no more tap water in the tank and your algea problems will not be as bad
Old 01-26-2004, 10:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

I started out my tank straight from the hose. I figured that I would do enough water changes with "good" water so I didn't worry that much.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am just like the rest.. Started with treated tap water and have added nothing but RO since with great success.. As for adding the rock .. If you have no fish I would say Add away go nuts now is the time for it cause once you get your tank going you have to be careful when adding rock as not to have an ammonia spike due to die off or what have you. Just note that this may cause your tank to start it's cycle all over but really as I said above now is a good time for that. If you add it and cause a recycle later you are gonna be in a world of hurt fish wise.. Also base rock is just essentially dead rock.. it does not have the little organisims that we are all so crazy about.. Nor does it have the filtering properties.. If it truley is good rock he is sending there will be die off but it will come back in time..

Doan

Doan
Old 01-27-2004, 01:46 AM   #10

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I will be adding liverock to my tank.

Doan - Are you saying that I should order all my live rock now? I was thinking about 40lbs now, and more in the future.

And also, how much liverock should i put in? Its a 90g tank

thanks,
Anthony

Tags
live, liverock, rock, started, tan, tap water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com