Invertebrate aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I will probably move him to larger tanks as he grows. And target feeding won't be a problem. What are you feeding him?

Lol probably? His is in a 125, not a 29. These are critters best left in the ocean, why own something you will rarely see and doesn't fit in your tank?

I haven't decided completely on him, I'm gonna watch the 6 we have a work and see their impact on the sand bed, and when I fed them today they all accepted prepared food. Eventually they he will be moved to a 200+ gallon tank so he will have room

How much live rock are you adding? I keep mine very sparse because they need so much room. Mine never stops unless it's dinner time :)

I plan on having maybe one or two taller pieces to one side, but the majority of the tank will be a open sand bed for the horseshoe

Lol probably? His is in a 125, not a 29. These are critters best left in the ocean, why own something you will rarely see and doesn't fit in your tank?

That is good advice I really hope you take. IMHO 1 of 2 things will happen if you add a horseshoe 1 it will starve to death 2 your spot feeding of the animal will cause your nutrients to spike possibly causing a tank crash. Thee are plenty if cool inverts that can actually be housed in your tank so why add one that can't?

Well the way I am looking at it is 50 years ago if you asked someone if you could keep SPS corals in an aquarium, they would immediately tell you that it couldn't be done and should never be attempted, But now SPS corals can be thriving in nano aquariums because someone spent the time and effort to research the organism and make sure that it's needs are cared for. I'm not saying it's gonna be easy by any means but I am willing to do all of the research and setup to give the horseshoe crab a exceptional habitat.

Well the way I am looking at it is 50 years ago if you asked someone if you could keep SPS corals in an aquarium, they would immediately tell you that it couldn't be done and should never be attempted, But now SPS corals can be thriving in nano aquariums because someone spent the time and effort to research the organism and make sure that it's needs are cared for. I'm not saying it's gonna be easy by any means but I am willing to do all of the research and setup to give the horseshoe crab a exceptional habitat.
I believe their issue (as well as my issue) is the lack of space your providing to start out.

He will start out in a 29 gallon DT, Set up specifically for him, then as he grows will be moved to larger aquariums.

Yeah, horseshoe crabs are one of the animals that are better left in the wild, sorry. It really doesn't matter how much you care for him, he will just starve easily.

Don't know if anyone said this already but- Pom Pom Crabs, or you could do a mantis tank... Those are always cool. They do need reinforced glass though.

because of the starvation problem I might not get one.
The Pom Pom crabs are cool though, porcelain crabs are another I'm looking
In to.

the foot print of a 29g tank first of all is way to small for a horseshoe crab look at it like this putting a elephant in a phone booth there is no room to move around it would also die from starvation
they also require a very deep sand bed 6+ inch deep

Back
Top Bottom