iodine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pluk1992

Aquarium Advice Activist
iodine what does it do for your live rock does it help the bacteria what does it do for anenomes

Iodine's main claim to fame is the need for it that shrimp have in order to molt. I don't know that it does anything for your bacteria and I don't know if it does anything for anemones.

I think it is helpful in general, but the guys who will want it the most are your crustations. they will not grow without it.

Be careful with the suppliments. They are way over priced and not always easy to test for accurately . Your Iodine level should be replaced by your regular water changes.

Iodine is also a supplement that some of the corals seem to need, like Xenia, Kenyan tree coral. But as JG says iodine levels are usually sufficient with proper water changes (unless you are running carbon which tends to leach the iodine out of the system). I am using the kent reef starter kit, but not the recommended dosage (less than half actually).

Iodine is also a supplement that some of the corals seem to need, like Xenia, Kenyan tree coral. But as JG says iodine levels are usually sufficient with proper water changes
Very true. The benifits of iodine on corals are unsubstantiated. Some aquarists say it works and others see no benifit. Its main use for corals is in disease treatment. A LFS by me does Lugol'sdips on all of the new corals before adding them to the tanks.

Don't even think of dosing iodine unless you've used a high end (Salifert or SeaChem) test kit, and are certain your levels are too low.
Iodine is toxic at higher levels, and it doesn't take much.

Back
Top Bottom