is 300$ a good deal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwandrsn

Aquarium Advice Addict
I found this for 300 is it a good deal

He says it has 50lbs of Fiji live rock
30 lbs of new agra-alive sand

Aqua-tech 30/60 filter
All glass brand hood

ForumRunner_20130111_184057.jpg

How much do you think to have a live rock setup in a 20 gallon would cost? Or a 30. I was really wanting a 20 to be honest figured on getting a pair of clowns and a cleanup crew and maybe something the clowncan host in

That does not look like 50lbs of LR to me if it is a 30 gallon tank.

If you are wanting cured liverock, expect to pay in the $5-10/lb range. Figure 15-20lbs for a 20 gallon, or 25-30lbs for a 30 gallon.

You can just use base rock, and it is muuuch cheaper. http://www.reefrocks.net/index.php?...&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

It does not take long for base rock to become live rock. When I set my tank up I used almost all base rock, and just bought like 3lbs of live rock from my LFS to seed it: started out like this:
19738-albums9044-picture35512.jpg

about 8 months later, it looked liked this:
19738-albums9044-picture48512.jpg

Ok that site I would have to order 30lbs for free shipping. If I do a20 how much live sand and I thought I had to have live rock.

The only live rock my lfs had is 20$ a rock could I get by with live sand and all base rock?

You don't need live sand or live rock. Regular sand and base rock will become live rock over time, as illustrated by the photos above.

Probably 20-25 lbs for 1" sand bed. More if you are looking into a DSB.

Again, I wouldn't spend the money on live sand. In my opinion it isn't worth extra cost.

DSB = deep sand bed.

FYI, if you hover your mouse over common acronyms, it will popup with what they mean.

You do not need to have either. I especially wouldn't buy a whole tank worth of live rock. All you need is a couple pounds to seed the rest, and time.

Well if I can get by without buying any live it would be good. I can order 30 lbs base with free shipping for 60 and should be plenty. I found 2 types of sand. natures ocean marine white sand and nature ocean aragonite sand. They are about 8-9 bucks a bag but the site doesn't say what size bags. What is the perks of doing a dsb. I'm on my phone right now so I can't hover :)

ah ok on the phone :)

DSBs can help process nitrogenous waste, but I wouldn't recommend it for your first setup. You can read more on them if interested.

You will need a bit of live rock if you are looking for coralline algae (the pink, purple, and neon green stuff). But again, a small piece will seed the whole tank within a few months.

Ok I will try to find a small piece then.

so far I've been on petco site

20 gal $20
Aqua-clear 30 gal 150 gph 42.49
aqueon pro 100 watt 32.99
coralife 750 gph power head 49.99
base rock on other site $60
Sand about 36 for 40 lbs

Not including lighting and lid

That will get you going for a basic FOWLR (fish only with live rock) marine setup.

You may not need a power head. You might get away with something smaller too if you want a powerhead.

Do you know what fish you want? There are options for marine fish in a 20, but not as much as you might think - especially when compared to a FW setup of similar size. 20 gallons is a small SW tank.

I want a pair of clowns and maybe something to keep tank clean

All that is about 260 not including light and lid.What would be a good cheap option for lighting

Well, if it is fish only, you can use just about anything. A single t8 bulb would be fine. If you want coralline to grow well, and hope to keep some easy soft corals like mushrooms, a dual t5ho fixture with 1 white and 1 actinic bulb would probably be the best option. Good lighting is not cheap though.

Back
Top Bottom