Is 96w too much for 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexrd09

Aquarium Advice Activist
Here is the story I have a 10g tank with a 96watt power compact flourecent bulb and ballast. I have a major algae break out and beleive this could be due to my lights. My question is would it it be possible to replace my current 96watt bulb with a 55watt bulb or would the ballast blow the bulb out. And if not what are some of my options because i really need to replace that 96watt light i feel like its way too much for my corals to handle(Am I wrong?).

96w pcs on a 10g should allow you to keep virtually any coral available; however, some corals may be better off being partly shaded or placed vertically. What corals do you have? What are you using for water motion and/or filter? Most nuisance algae problems stem from improper exportation whether it be from feeding, waste, etc.

I agree with innovator. The wattage can work on the 10. Keep in mind though with a small tank and and that amount of light you are going to run into heat issues. To compensate for the heat you can use fans to blow across the water surface but then you are going have to deal with evaporation. Be prepared to top off your tank with RO/DI water daily. I have to add about 3g per day to my system.

OK here is all my info:
10 gallon tank
Filtration:
TopFin 20(wilth rubble LR No filtermedia)
AquaClear 30
Corals:
Xenea
Red and purple mushroom
Zoanthids
Leaf PLate
Greenstar polyps
Levels:
PH: 8.1
Nitrate: 0-5
Phosphate: 0-0.25
Calcium: 420
salinity: 1.024
Alkalitity: 120
Fish:
Clown
Inverts:
sandsifting star
Emerald Crab
Lighting:
96watt 50/50 power compact

My algae problem is intense i have a separate thread addressing that issue but here is what ive done so far to control it:
- Reduced Light form 12 to 6 hours
- water changes weekly
- Replace filter media in TopFin 20 filter with Rubble LR
- pull algae off daily
- test levels every other day

My algae problem is intense i have a separate thread addressing that issue but here is what ive done so far to control it:
- water changes weekly
- pull algae off daily

The only other thing you might want to add to this regiment is to feed every other day. That sounds like a good plan. By doing that and feeding every other day then you should be OK. One thing you could try is when you do PWC`s rubberband a toothbrush to the end of the siphon hose and gently scrub your LR and as it comes off the rock siphon it up with your PWC water. As I said this and your plan should put a dent in the algea slowly over time. Remember it did not happen over nite and it wont go away over nite.

The mushrooms will do well in both high light and in shade but other then that I believe the corals you have will be fine in the light you have. Keep an eye on them you will know if they aren't happy.

OK here is all my info:
10 gallon tank
Filtration:
TopFin 20(wilth rubble LR No filtermedia)
AquaClear 30
Corals:
Xenea
Red and purple mushroom
Zoanthids
Leaf PLate
Greenstar polyps
Levels:
PH: 8.1
Nitrate: 0-5
Phosphate: 0-0.25
Calcium: 420
salinity: 1.024
Alkalitity: 120
Fish:
Clown
Inverts:
sandsifting star
Emerald Crab
Lighting:
96watt 50/50 power compact

- water changes weekly
- pull algae off daily
Looks to me like you need some snails to help with the algae.
follow all the other advice and add snails and you should be good to go.

You can also try raising your alkalinity above 3.0meq/l, which in turn should raise your pH and possibly alleviate some P04. If you do, be sure to do so slowly because your Xenia will not like the additions at first. A two-part system is a simple solution and can be kept at a constant by using kalkwasser.

Back
Top Bottom