is a 10gal sw possible? worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronnieroach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hey folks,

i just set up my new 10gal & i'm currently cycling. the plan was to do a community but before i stock, i just wanna ask - is a 10gal possible for a sweet little sw?

i figured maybe a clown & a goby w/ a centerpiece of liverock / corals & a few shrimps..?

i am cycling w/ a 20gal hang-on filter but i have a 55gal biowheel hang-on that i can use if possible or if worth doing.

let me know if i should empty this bad boy ;)

& if anyone has advice or links to info, it's always appreciated :)

thanks yall

It can definitely work. But, if the filter has been in freshwater, none of the bacteria will be able to survive, so you'd have to start fresh with a live rock cycle.

IMO your stock sounds fine. I would get 10-15 lbs of live rock. If you wanted corals I would recommended a T5HO fixture or LEDs.

sweeeet. thanks bruins.

now should i just get new filter pads, keep the water in (its from my 55gal african tank) & add marine salt / live rock?

or should i empty it & get the water that my local SW shop sells w/ their fish?

& lastly, do i need live sand or is a bagged sand cool? i have to do a bunch of research before i start but this will help to at least get my cycle started & rock / corals in :)

i'm insanely stoked!!

thanks again!!

Maybe look at firefish with a goby and some shrimp. Add the correct lights and you could go with a mushroom and some other coral frags.

how about a trigger? i assume not but why not ask lol

any more fish suggestions? not a huge fan of the firefish

i dig blennys & gobys a lot but i figure i should get one or the other & then a fish that likes to swim around a lot

and then shrimp of course :)

ronnieroach said:
def a dope fish.. is it possible to get 3 fish into the tank? maybe one wrasse & 2 gobys? or just 3 gobys?

just asking cuz i'm def not looking to overstock

I haven't kept more than one goby at a time. I don't think it would be wise in this small of a tank though.

You could do the wrasse and the goby though and then make the rest decorative shrimp. There are some pretty nice shrimp.
A third fish could include a smaller cardinal maybe?

ronnieroach said:
& do i need live sand or is bagged fine for a small tank? i dont know anything about live sand or salt needs, as you could probably tell :)

Any sand will turn live after a while. Just make sure you rinse it really well.

Jlsardina said:
Any sand will turn live after a while. Just make sure you rinse it really well.

Lol. Let me rephrase that. Not any sand. But aquarium safe sand. Lol. You could always ask your LFS for a scoop of their sand to get some bacteria started in your sand as well if you don't want to pay for the live sand.

awesome! thanks so much!

i'm gonna start making my 'to get' list so i can be ready on payday next thursday! lol

i might do one goby & a cardinal or 2 w/ some shrimp. my SW lfs is really knowledgeable & wont sell what you cant fit, which is uber-dope.

thanks again.. i'll update w/ pics once i get cycling

Back
Top Bottom