Is a Flame Angel a good or bad Idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

InfernoST

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi All
I want to get everyones opinion on adding a Flame Angel to my Tank, my daughter wants the fish in the worst way but told her we must find out first if it will fit in with our plans. Tank = 120 Fowler (will progress to a full reef down the road), with 2 Percula Clowns, 2 Firefish Gobies, 1 Accidentally acquired Blue Caribbean Tang (looked like a Yellow Tang), 2 Emerald crabs, 10 red Hermits, 10 Turbo Snails and 5 Nassarius snails. Note all fish are juvenile. Does this fish pose any known conflicts with my existing livestock and future plans. Another member is also interested in this very fish as well and has 29 gal Biocube and wants to know if it will fit in with his setup. Thanks everyone.:)

It will be fine in either setup. There is always a chance that dwarf angels will consume coral polyps, but I personally wouldn't have a reef tank without one.

It will be fine in either setup. There is always a chance that dwarf angels will consume coral polyps, but I personally wouldn't have a reef tank without one.
Thanks Innovator, is there anything that will reduce the chance?

I have this as 1 of my fish to have!

I have heard many things about them but I think the consciences is that if you keep them fed they will leave your coral (the ones the boss will want latter) alone. Apart from that I don;t think you will be disappointed.

I think the flame angel would be fine in the 120, but I wouldn't put any angel in a Biocube 29. IMO the footprint is too small.

IME I would not chance it. I had one that was good for 4 yrs but it finally went to munching and I had to tear the tank apart to get it out. I know you are FOWLR now but when coral time comes you might have to tear your tank down to get him. It will be extremely hard to catch with all the LR in there. JME and JMO

Hi All
I want to get everyones opinion on adding a Flame Angel to my Tank, my daughter wants the fish in the worst way but told her we must find out first if it will fit in with our plans. Tank = 120 Fowler (will progress to a full reef down the road), with 2 Percula Clowns, 2 Firefish Gobies, 1 Accidentally acquired Blue Caribbean Tang (looked like a Yellow Tang), 2 Emerald crabs, 10 red Hermits, 10 Turbo Snails and 5 Nassarius snails. Note all fish are juvenile. Does this fish pose any known conflicts with my existing livestock and future plans. Another member is also interested in this very fish as well and has 29 gal Biocube and wants to know if it will fit in with his setup. Thanks everyone.:)

LOL, thanks for posting this Inferno. That fish looks awesome and everytime I go into the LFS I'm dying to get him. What does everyone think about putting him in last though. I keep reading around that they are like a "last" fish to put in a tank?

LOL, thanks for posting this Inferno. That fish looks awesome and everytime I go into the LFS I'm dying to get him. What does everyone think about putting him in last though. I keep reading around that they are like a "last" fish to put in a tank?
Not a problem. It's always best to get feedback from people who have had experience with them. About last, nobody mentioned it as of yet, I'm sure if it is true somebody will point it out and why. The boss is putting great pressure on me about this one, I'm still going to wait a bit and deal with the wining for now.

I have this as 1 of my fish to have!

I have heard many things about them but I think the consciences is that if you keep them fed they will leave your coral (the ones the boss will want latter) alone. Apart from that I don;t think you will be disappointed.
Hiiiii Spikey:D, Yeah this is one of the fish that is on her/our list and said I would investigate, it sure is a beauty.

IME I would not chance it. I had one that was good for 4 yrs but it finally went to munching and I had to tear the tank apart to get it out. I know you are FOWLR now but when coral time comes you might have to tear your tank down to get him. It will be extremely hard to catch with all the LR in there. JME and JMO
Thanks Mike, Even if fed well as Spikey pointed out he still attacked your corals?

I've read that the Flame angel is a semi-aggressive usually territorial fish. IME adding the aggressive fish last is usually best because the other fish have a change to establish their territories first. When the aggressive fish comes in, you won't have to worry too much about them being picked on, and since they are new to the environment, they have less chance to pick on other fish.

I've read that the Flame angel is a semi-aggressive usually territorial fish. IME adding the aggressive fish last is usually best because the other fish have a change to establish their territories first. When the aggressive fish comes in, you won't have to worry too much about them being picked on, and since they are new to the environment, they have less chance to pick on other fish.
Thanks man, Awesome explanation, now I understand why they said he should go in last, before i was confused as to why. I will tell the boss we will get him but he will have to be one of the last fish to go in. Thanks again Speakerman.

Thank you as well for the explanation Speakerman. It really does help like Inferno said. They are such amazing looking fish though! You make complete sense, so thanks so much for the advice.

Thanks Mike, Even if fed well as Spikey pointed out he still attacked your corals?

I only feed every other day. Maybe if I fed alot then he might not munch on them but then I`d have to deal with excessive nutrients and algea in the tank. IMO you cant change nature. If they are going to nip corals then they are. But you never know. Mine went 4 yrs even with every other day feedings before they went bad. The choice is up to you.

I only feed every other day. Maybe if I fed alot then he might not munch on them but then I`d have to deal with excessive nutrients and algea in the tank. IMO you cant change nature. If they are going to nip corals then they are. But you never know. Mine went 4 yrs even with every other day feedings before they went bad. The choice is up to you.
I guess it's something to chew on. Thanks again.

They eat coral?!?! that sucks it was the next fish on my list to get for my 55gal :( i have always wanted one oh well

Melosu; yours went bad! Maybe it was the parenting!!!!! (think of time out)
What have you done with him, do you still love him and keep an eye on what corals go into your tank. Or has he been let go?

It was two of them (dwarf angels) and they are in a 240 gallon FOWLR tank somewhere in the state. I`ve taken the "NO ANGELS" pledge. LOL

Inferno, As I have said I hear yes and know; I am going to take the chance. Melosu in 4 years I may also take the pledge. But I do hope not!!!!!

Inferno, come join me in 4 years lets not take it just yet. They are magnificent fish!

Back
Top Bottom