Is a powerhead necessary for a 75 g tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csouth1994

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a koralia powerhead in my 75 g tank and the reason I'm asking is because it seems like the fish come out a lot more when I have it off and they don't have to fight against the current. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390618929.829551.jpgI'll show a picture of my tanks setup to give a better idea.

Powerheads are necessary in all tanks in some shape or form. It not only brings fresh oxygen into the system and removes CO2, it also prevents food and poop from settling on the bottom of the tank and causing nitrate issues as time goes on.
It is normally a good idea to run more than one powerhead to get the flow in the tank 'just right' to prevent any settling and dead spots. If your fish don't like to come out with it on, it might be too powerful of a powerhead or that you just have shy fish.
From looking at your tank, I would look into more than just your powerhead situation, as you are beginning to have quite a bloom of what appears to be algae going on in both your sandbed and on your powerhead.

I think that's from the light. Sometimes I leave it on much longer then I should. Other then not having as much light, do you have any ideas on how to reduce excessive algae on the sand and the glass?

Algae is easy to understand when you break it down into food sources. Leaving your light on for too long isn't helping matters, but it also needs nitrate and phosphate in the water column to consume. In terms of algae control, there are two articles about it in our articles section that will help you get ahead of the problem. Just remember, this is always a long battle and won't be fixed over night.

Is there a gravel/sand that does really good at not attracting algae on the top?

The sand really doesn't matter in the equation. You want to attack the nitrates/phosphates in the water column. Just keep in mind that even testing at this point will more than likely read 0, since it is being consumed by the algae currently growing in your tank. Can make things confusing.

Well I have had this tank for about 3 months. My nitrates usually range now from 20-40 so it's not too extreme. I'm not too familiar with protein skimmers but I know they help lower nitrates. Is it possible to have one hooked up to mine with it already being established? If so, how do I do it?

What kind of filtration are you running? I would definitely look into a skimmer for that size tank. How long do you run your lights? What kind of water do you use? Is it just the two clownfish in there? Sometimes over feeding can lead to excess algae too. I would also be looking Into more flow. Nitrates at 20-40 is quite high, aim for 0 :)

I have a hang on filter. I have 10 fish. A few big but mostly small. My lights probably go 10 hours a day and yes I know it is probably too long

Look into running a sump, it will do wonders for your tank and you'll be able to keep your heater and skimmer in there and out of the display. That would be the best in my opinion...

How do I do that? I don't really understand a sump either. How do I make it run on my tank that is already established

I would look into a hob skimmer IMHO. I'm pretty sure reef octopus makes one for up to 110g. It would be easier for you than drilling an established tank and hob overflows are sketchy

Hob skimmers are pretty much plug and play, just a little bit of tuning to get the skimate how you want it

Back
Top Bottom