Is a refugium tank and a QT tank the same thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonnieC

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just tring to read up and learn. Reading about sumps with refugium tanks and wondered if they were same thing.

If not, do you have to keep QT tanks up all the time?

No they are not the same. You don't have to keep a QT up and running all the time, but if you don't then you need to keep a sponge filter running in your sump that can be switched over to the QT on short notice or you will have to do water changes in the QT to keep the ammonia and nitrites in check until it cycles.

A refugium provides physical isolation, is still connected by plumbing to the main tank. The QT is completely independent water and equipment, so disease can't travel back into the main tank.

If you keep your qt running all the time, you have to keep providing an ammonia source. You can feed the empty tank, or keep a small population of critters (like snails) that you don't mind loosing if you end up having to treat a diseased fish in there. If you don't keep your QT running all the time, you'll have to scramble to keep the ammonia levels down when you need it.

You can get the QT set up rather quickly by keeping a sponge filter or similar in the sump of the main tank. I keep a biowheel in the sump so I can set up the QT whenever I decide to buy something new ot need to treat.

Back
Top Bottom