Is a saltwater reef aquarium possible with a smaller tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tristan65

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just came back from a very good specialty fish store. I went there resigned to buy myself a small freshwater tank since, after much research, it looked too costly and complicated to buy and set up a tank of at least 55 gal to start my first saltwater aquarium (which is really what I want...).

After talking about freshwater tanks with the salesperson (he was highly recommending the Aqua Via tanks with filter incorporated in the hood), he finally got out of me (!) that I would prefer a saltwater tank. He told me that he could sell me a package with a smaller tank to start a reef aquarium -- the store actually has a few smaller tanks set up as reefs as demos. In all of the books I have consulted, the author recommends a tank of at least 55 gal in order to keep good water quality, especially for the invertebrates. He said this was true in the past but that there are now excellent new more compact "all-inclusive" filters on the market that have changed that reality (he was referring to an Amiracle wet dry trickle filter).

Should I follow his advice and buy myself a 26 or 36 gal tank to start a reef (with fish and invertebrates)? I understand that a smaller tank will limit the number and size of the fish I can have but if I have to choose between a reef with a few smaller fish and no saltwater aquarium at all.... Can you tell me if this would be a mistake and I would have a hard time keeping my critters alive in such an environment?

Thanks!

Yes, small S/W tanks are possible. You should know off the top, that they are more work than larger tanks, and you will eventually want a larger tank :twisted: . It is an addicting hobby and where we all tend to want bigger, there are some of us that are also called to the challenge of a smaller reef aquarium. I personally have a 20g reef, and have had as large as a 150g. Eventually I will go with larger, again, but I may be in my minimalist phase right now :wink: . I would like to forwarn you, the LFS is there to sell you things. It is unnecessary and not recommended that you go with any of there all inclusive, filter and tank, etc...

My 20g has 32 lbs of LR, 2"-2.5" sand bed, a protein skimmer and 3 powerheads (run by a wave mker) for it's filtration. The actual filtration is done by the LR and the sand, the protien skimmer is there to remove organics and the powerheads are for watermovement. That is all that is necessary (and the need of a skimmer is debatable) for any size reef tank. If you have any more specific question, please feel free. If you'd like to view some pics of my reef tank please feel free...
Nano-Nano

Yes a small mini reef setup is possible. In fact my first saltwater tank was a 20gal H tank. I am still running this tank but as reefrunner said its very addictive. Within 6 months of starting the 20 gal tank I had purchased two additional tanks and had 1 of them setup (only reason i did not setup the third one was I was moving in a few months after purchase)

The ONLY items you need for filtration are exactly what reefrunner specified above. a 3-4" sandbed and 1 1/2lbs of LR per gal of tank capacity. The LR and LS will do the bio filtration. Some PH's for movement or if you want you could setup a small sump 10 gal or 15 gal tank and a submersible mag pump. If you have a sump you dont need powerheads if you place the sump return lines correctly. The sump pump will provide the water movement you need. Ideally you want 10 X (10 times) the water capacity of teh system flow per hour. So if you get a 26 gal tank you want to shoot for 260GPH or maybe a little more.

Remember the smaller the tank the less fish you will be able to keep in good conditions. The general rule is 1" of adult fish per 5 gal of water. So a 26 gal tank would give you 5" of adult size fish. A pair of clowns would do nicely in that size tank.

You can see photos of my 20 gal mini-reef in the photo gallery of this site. It might be a few pages back but its there. I have two powerheads and a hang on filter (no media) and a prizm skimmer (not skimming) providing water movement. A 100W heater and thats all the equipment in the tank.

Thank you guys for your quick replies. I'll look into getting the largest tank I can but will stay on the small side (somewhere between 35 and 45 gal).

Reefrunner69, what do you mean exactly by "smaller tanks are more work"? You have to clean more often? Check/change the water more often? Something else?

So, if I understand well, the two of you don't think I need to buy a "traditional" filter for my aquarium?! I'll continue to research this but I may feel better having a good filter I can rely on to keep the water clean (since this is my first aquarium). Or do I need to get over my "insecurities"?!

Also, when you talk about "inches of fish per gallon", that excludes invertebrates, correct? Is there a limit (within reason) of the number of shrimp, anemones, coral, starfish, etc. that I can add?

Thanks for all your help.

tristan65 said:
Thank you guys for your quick replies. I'll look into getting the largest tank I can but will stay on the small side (somewhere between 35 and 45 gal).

Your welcome.

Reefrunner69, what do you mean exactly by "smaller tanks are more work"? You have to clean more often? Check/change the water more often? Something else?

Yes to all of the above. In a smaller tank, changes can occur very quickly with little or no warning, therefore you have to stay on top of it better. One simple example is salinity, as water evaporates, the salinity will go up, cause the only thing that evaporates is the water. In a smaller tank 1 gallon of evaporated water may be a considerable swing, where as in a larger tank, you would need to evaporate much more water for the same swing...

So, if I understand well, the two of you don't think I need to buy a "traditional" filter for my aquarium?! I'll continue to research this but I may feel better having a good filter I can rely on to keep the water clean (since this is my first aquarium). Or do I need to get over my "insecurities"?!

You need to get over your insecurities. You will create more problems for a reef with a traditional filter than the method we use. Check out this thread for more details.

Also, when you talk about "inches of fish per gallon", that excludes invertebrates, correct? Is there a limit (within reason) of the number of shrimp, anemones, coral, starfish, etc. that I can add?

For the most part, your inverts will have little imapct on the bioload, and most will have a benificial impact. Compatability is an issue at times, though.

Hi Tristan,

You have asked some excellent questions. I'm glad the feedback you have thus far received has help guide you.

Several questions answered might help even more with responses. Can you say a little more about your goals in setting up a saltwater tank. Are the beautiful fish what most attract you? Is a coral reef in your sights? Have you knowledge regarding a tank filled with live rock, live sand?

The answers to the above questions makes a difference in the approach one would take when setting up a swtank.

Sue

Yes, you can set up a reef with a smaller tank. I have a 29 gal reef tank. It's been up and running for over 2 years now. I have 5 fish in it, a small yellow tang, a small clown fish, a yellow wrasse, a spingeri, and a firefish. I also have several small corals. I have a candy cane trumpet, a frog spawn, a open brain, greenstar polyps, several mushrooms, button polyps and a fox coral. I admit I am maxed out on adding anything else to my tank, but I still love what I have just the same. Tomorrow I'll see if I can post a few pictures of the tank. Good Luck

A 30 gal or 45 gal is a good size for a small saltwater tank. One thing to consiter when looking at tanks is to try to find a tank with the largest surface area. For example a 20 gal LONG tank is more desirable than a 20 gal HIGH tank. This is because you get more surface area for gas exchange plus the 20 LONG tank is easier to light given its short depth.

Good luck, take your time, and you will be successful.

I started out with a 10 gallon tank with a mirrored back ground.. well it had a leak LOL so I had to move up to a 15long. shortly after that I built a stand and setup a 29.. I rant he 29 for nearly a yr. Then I moved it back to my 15 just last wk. I moved everything including water sand etc.. The reason I did this was a lighting issue(I could get teh desired ligthing I needed for corals with teh 15 easier then I could with the 29) But none the less I love it and its not that much harder.. Tho I am accustomed to most of thesee things after a yr. A "newbie" (no offense) might have more trouble. As they are not accustomed to having to top off with water (FRESH! water) everyday or do wkly water changes etc etc

As for the skimmer I do not use one. If I ever had a surplus of money (yea right I am 15.. Do no see that happening) I would purchase one or buy a larger tank :p But I have never needed one.

Good Luck

Jacob

Regarding a protein skimmer. Originally I had a Berlin hang on skimmer on the back of my tank, then I wanted to hide the skimmer to improve the looks. I couldn't afford to do a sump right away, so I switched to a Priszm Skimmer. The Berlin worked much better, but the Priszm is doing a good job. I'm still using the Priszm and my tank is doing fine. But there are a lot of tanks that don't run a protein skimmer at all. It's a controversial issue, and a matter of preference whether to run the protein skimmer or not. I think you'll find that almost everyone who has a reef will suggest the protein skimmer. But it's a choice you have to make. You could always start the tank and add it later.

Also, The main reason I can not run a skimmer is I do a wkly water change... Without this I would be unable to run a tank w/o a skimmer. Tho even if I got a Skimmer I would still do w/c just prolly once every 2 wks instead.

Jacob

The Bigger tank the better I my self started out with a 55 gal because everything I read said go 55 or larger. well as my third reef setup, I started a 20 gal just to see how hard it was to keep. I neglected this tank worse than any other in the house to try to see what all the fuss was about. well I ran this setup for 18 months I have to tell you it was the easiest tank I had. want to check it out, go here 25 lbs LR 3.5" DSB, no skimmer no mech filtration just sand and rock and I grew Macro in the tank, and I over stocked the tank to push it to the limit, After the tank was 9months old i added a 10 gal sump just to see what a diffrence it made. I feel they are no more harder to run as long as you keep it simple. Just my 2 cents. HTH

Alf, thanks for your comments.

Would you say that your experence with your first two reef setups helped you out in setting up the 20 gal system?

With 25lbs of LR and a 3.5" DSB you had everything you needed for success plus the experence in water changes and feeding amounts, lighting needs etc.

The last part of of keeping is simple is most important.

I have found each tank I setup saltwater or freshwater is much easier than the last. I am currently on my 4th tank and for the last two tanks I experenced no cycle because I was able to use existing substrate and/or live rock from established tanks to start the new tank.

I have even been playing around the idea of a 5 gal tank for my home office or the dinning room table (if I could only find a way to hide the electrical wires).

Alf said:
I started a 20 gal just to see how hard it was to keep. I neglected this tank worse than any other in the house to try to see what all the fuss was about. well I ran this setup for 18 months I have to tell you it was the easiest tank I had.

This is kinda funny, the most successful tank I had, was about 13yrs ago, when I started my first S/W aquarium. It was a 30g run with an undergravel filter. To this day I miss that tank :( Since then I have only had larger aquariums, until my current reef, 20g. I don't know why, but it has had me the most on edge of any of them, perhaps, it is because of the small tank idea of instability that keeps me fricken with it, which causes problems :oops:

Don't know how well my 10g tank which I have placed in my computer room is going to do in the long run, but I love it. It is so much fun to sit here and look at my baby. At the moment I am totally fascinated by my new Condy. :wink:

You've convinced me -- I'll get a smaller tank to start with. I'm still puzzled (although increasingly convinced) by the fact that you are only using live rocks and sand to keep the water clean... Is there a limit to the size of the tank that I can have with no filter or skimmer? 20G? 30G? 40G?

Am I correct folks? As Jean mentioned, using a DSB (at least 4 inches) and an ample amount of LR/gallon of SW only to run a system constitutes using the Berlin Method of filtration?

Good success, Jean. The understanding you mention is confusing as a concept. As I understand it, basically it's all about beneficial bacteria and sand sifting critters.

Please, correct any assumption I've made if I am incorrect.

Sue

CaliGal said:
Am I correct folks? As Jean mentioned, using a DSB (at least 4 inches) and an ample amount of LR/gallon of SW only to run a system constitutes using the Berlin Method of filtration?

Technically speaking, no it would not be a berlin system. The berlin system calls for a much smaller layer of sand. The berlin system became popular before DSBs became well known or popular. I have no doubt though that had the reef clubs in Germany known of the benifits of a DSB, they would have included it. They were on the right track though...they got rid of the notion you had to have a bare bottom aquarium to be successful.

tristan65 said:
Is there a limit to the size of the tank that I can have with no filter or skimmer? 20G? 30G? 40G?

NOPE!

I have seen tanks as small as 3/4 gal use the exact same filtration method as a tank that is 180 gal or larger. As caligal said the key is that the DSB and the LR act as your biofilter. If you where to calculate the biosurface area of a DSB alone you would find it to provide an area for the bactera to live many thousands of times larger than even a wet/dry filter or a mega canister filter. A DSB also has the ability to remove nitrate and that is something that a wet/dry or a canister filter lack given they are naturally higher in oxygen concentrations than the lower levels of a DSB would be.

The key is to not over stock the tank. Not add to many fish at any one time. Allow the tank to properly cycle. And basicly take your time.

Would you say that your experence with your first two reef setups helped you out in setting up the 20 gal system?

Well I would have to say that yes exp. always helps but... I went at this as if I had no clue of what I was doing and My wife claimed the tank as her's so she was the overall primary care giver. But before I go into detail, I don't want to give the wrong impression to a Beginner. Do not neglect your tanks but I did this one.

Ok the tank was set up with the intention of how hard is this small system? I set the tank up and never tested it after the cycle. I loaded this thing up with [don't flame me] six fish for the first 9 months. loaded with rescues from the LFS and a few of my captive breed frags. The Lighting was 3x28w pc. No clams , no sps, but everything else you can think of went in this tank over it's 18 months life just to see how corals reacted. There was no sump for the first 9 months. I got board and my wife say's hey all your tanks have a sump I want one! So I added a plain old overflow box[lifereef] and a plain old ten gal tank I had laying around. So you could say the tank was at that point around 25 gals with LR displacement.
I belive the Macro gave it all the nutreint removal it needed. I did 2 gal water changes every two weeks, and topped it off with plain old Ro/DI water. Never added any supplements at all. And I cleaned the glass once a week. that is all I ever did to this tank[well I should say all my wife ever did]

Is there a limit to the size of the tank that I can have with no filter or skimmer? 20G? 30G? 40G?

I agree there is no limit. But you must have system in place to remove nutrients from the tank. In my case with my skimmerless 20 and I still run a skimmerless 55 gal that is 2.5 years old, I use natural Macro algae's for this purpose. The trick is a good nutrient export and LR, DSB and good water flow. This will provide all the filtration you need with out all the mech. Stuff. Although it is my understanding that SPS need really clean systems and have always belived that. Well I am testing that theroy out now with 5 captive raised frags in a tank that doesn't produce any skimmate to speak of with a crappy skimmer. So you could say this tank is Skimmerless as well.

Here is a pic of the 20 gal. This was taken after I removed the orignal 6 fish and put in stuff I really wanted. But you get the idea!
20gal1.JPG

But let me also add I studied a min of six months before I ever put water in my first tank. I put my systems togther from other's successes and came up with my setups from That. So my point is can a 20 gal be run as easy as a large system. From My exp. I would say yes. But you must first do the research and come up with your own theroy as to what has worked for others and then aply that in real time. You can not do enough research! But also remember that with a small system, that small changes have big effects and with a larger system that it leaves more rome for error, this is why everyone recommends a tank 55 gal or larger. It leaves more room for error. HTH

And just because I love to show off! :twisted: here is a pic of my 55 gal skimmerless system. And you will want bigger if you love the hobby so go as big as you can on that fact.
25355galMarch182002.jpg

Back
Top Bottom