Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-27-2009, 12:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Flake
Is a sump really necissary?

I've finally gotten the green light to start planning my last tank idea, and my boyfriend and I have agreed on building a tank to fit behind the sofa.The tank design i'm looking into is a 150g plywood tank. In trying to plan out the best way to build this I find myself more and more confused on sumps. I've found myself looking a sumps made out of three drawer storage containers which seem quite easy and sumps with different levels of glass to control flow through various filtration methods. I've seen some tanks without sumps at all.

Is it more beneficial to have a sump, or would finding a really powerful filter work just as well?

Old 07-27-2009, 12:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I like using a sump for several reasons.

#1 - Adds volume to the water. I can up the total quantity of water which makes for a more stable environment for the fish.

#2 - I can hide all of the equipment. All of the heaters, filters, skimmers, and such are out of sight.

#3 - My show tank level stays the same. When the level goes down, it goes down in the sump and not in the show tank.

#4 - It is easier for me to add water to the tank. I don't have to pick up large buckets of water to add to the tank, I can add it underneath.

#5 - I can put plants out of site of herbivores so that they can grow rather than be eaten as soon as they are put in the tank.

#6 - I have a place for copepods and other small creatures to grow safely without being wiped out.

These are just a few reasons to have a sump, but it is not 100% neccesary. It does have many benefits though.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:17 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to partypalooza5 Send a message via Yahoo to partypalooza5
Sumps are beneficial in all sorts of ways ( As stated above )

I say if you can add a sump then go for it.

partypalooza5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:30 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Couldnt have said it any better, donkuchi
Old 07-27-2009, 12:31 AM   #5
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkuchi19 View Post
I like using a sump for several reasons.

#1 - Adds volume to the water. I can up the total quantity of water which makes for a more stable environment for the fish.

#2 - I can hide all of the equipment. All of the heaters, filters, skimmers, and such are out of sight.

#3 - My show tank level stays the same. When the level goes down, it goes down in the sump and not in the show tank.

#4 - It is easier for me to add water to the tank. I don't have to pick up large buckets of water to add to the tank, I can add it underneath.

#5 - I can put plants out of site of herbivores so that they can grow rather than be eaten as soon as they are put in the tank.

#6 - I have a place for copepods and other small creatures to grow safely without being wiped out.

These are just a few reasons to have a sump, but it is not 100% neccesary. It does have many benefits though.
Very good points & post.

I'm curious, why a plywood build? For a 150, it's actually more economical (and easier) to get a glass or acrylic tank.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:42 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Donkuchi: that's probably the best list of reasons i've seen thus far. The biggest reason i've seen until now was "to hide things" which didn't seem worth the effort. Thank you.

HN1: My boyfriend rescues cats. If a cat walks through the door, they're welcome to stay. We currently have 8 cats. The other two tanks are away from kitty influence. The cats feel they own the house and will jump/stomp/slaminto anything they can get to. Being behind the sofa provides a prime opportunity for a 20lb cat to slam into it. In looking around I see a lot more people using plywood tanks for larger builds and for keeping animals away due to the sturdiness. I err on the side of caution with 150 gallons poised to spill all over the living room
Old 07-27-2009, 12:48 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

You are welcome. Glad to have helped.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:01 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree with all of the previous statements. I was uncertain about a sump at first but was convinced by everyone here and the LFS. Very happy that I went with it!
Old 07-27-2009, 01:18 AM   #9
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flake View Post
HN1: My boyfriend rescues cats. If a cat walks through the door, they're welcome to stay. We currently have 8 cats. The other two tanks are away from kitty influence. The cats feel they own the house and will jump/stomp/slaminto anything they can get to. Being behind the sofa provides a prime opportunity for a 20lb cat to slam into it. In looking around I see a lot more people using plywood tanks for larger builds and for keeping animals away due to the sturdiness. I err on the side of caution with 150 gallons poised to spill all over the living room
LOL... ok, I was just curious. Good on you two for rescuing.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:21 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks. It's overcrowded in here, but worth it. The largest ones don't seem to acknowledge they are any heavier than about 2 pounds, so one of them trying to sleep on top of a glass tank scares me xD Reinforced plywood may prevent that.

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com