Is cycle finished and what about green stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunny

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Guys, Well I have gone a couple of days now ammonia free! YEAH!
So how long should I wait to add anything (clean-up crew/fish)
I am thinking another week or 2.
Also, one of the live rocks that I bought has green algae on it. It's actually pretty and looks like seaweed, should I leave it?
I know you want to see pics... My digital camera has been MIA however I should be getting it back tomorrow! So pics soon after!
Any help would be great

Yes pics would be helpful, lots of possibles.
A agree another week or 2 would be a good idea. Make sure it doesn't spike on you again. Your almost ready!! :)

Thanks quarryshark... Just wanted to make sure I'm on the right track. The ammonia has gone up twice, so I am thinking that it is close.
Thanks so much for the good word... I will pose pics as soon as I can! :lol:

Ya looks like a cycle has set up. The lack of nitrite and presence of nitrate are the indicators. Still would give it a week to 10 days and then maybe introduce a few hermits and snails to see how things go. :)

uh oh!!! Already have 1 - hermit crab, 1 - little red crab and 4 - snails..... These guys were riding on rock so just left them in. They move all over the tank, everyone seems to be OK. Don't see the red crab but about once a week. haha.

When can I start thinking about adding anemones and/or coral frags? Just curious! The local club is having a frag swap this weekend, any chance I could try it?

Just looking for some advice... I am probably getting impatient and it's OK to tell me so! :?

Thank Again for all the help!

Woooh....slow down a bit. 8O :wink:
It will be quite a while (like closer to a year) before you should get an anemone. They need a good established tank to thrive. Would also give it some time before placing any corals. What is your current lighting?
I would look at what you want for your first hearty fish. What are you stocking plans as far as fish go?

OK, I'll slow down ~ Somehow I knew that was the case! :(
Can't hurt to ask though.
The fish that we have in mind are Tang (the hubby requested) Clown and Manderin. I understand that the Manderin needs alot of growth in the tank so that it doesn't starve... As for the clown, I would like to get one that will bond with an Anemone as in the wild.

So with that in mind, should I just wait awhile more to add anything?!
Please let me know your thoughts.

The fish that we have in mind are Tang (the hubby requested) Clown and Manderin. I understand that the Manderin needs alot of growth in the tank so that it doesn't starve... As for the clown, I would like to get one that will bond with an Anemone as in the wild.
Would start with the Clown, pretty hearty fish. Leave the Manderin for about the same time as the anemone and a Tang would be fine if your tank is big enough (75 gal or larger). Maybe a pair of tank raised clown???
What is your tank size BTW?

75 Gallon, so 1 Tang, correct?

If I get tank raised clowns (2) will they take to an anemone eventually?

Also which of the should be added first?

I hear they can, dont know for sure, I don't have an anemone for mine.
They do tend to acclimate better, there are less problems with diseases less problems with them taking to the foods we offer.
Yes, a tang would be fine in your system. Introduce it last, they tend to be aggressive.
What kind of tang?

Yellows are one of the smaller tangs, Should be fine in a 75. :)
I have one, she is a joy. :D

Back
Top Bottom