Is green algae good or bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

S.gal1122

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I heard green algae is bad to have is this true? Within the last 4 days this showed up on my live rock

Attachments

• image-1174413602.jpg
    image-1174413602.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 98
  • image-2228716846.jpg
    image-2228716846.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 104
Is the tank a new setup and has it cycled yet if so? If its been setup a while I would check your water perimeters. It looks like something a few hermits and snails can take care of!

There is 4 peppermint shrimp and 3 turbo snails and several blue hermit crabs a long with a yellow tang

I have had the tank setup since mid aug I checked the levels today they were good except the total hardness was a little high

I don't know what either of them are? I am new at this

Corraline algae can be red or purple is and is hard and flat like paint. Cyano bacteria is often called red algae only its not algae its a bacteria and looks like a thick soft red webby film or slime.

I think with what you have in there, they should have it cleaned up for you pretty fast. I would check your phosphates and your two N's for algae blooms. Possibly over feeding

Actually after looking a little more closely it does look like you have cyano. The green stuff doesnt look that bad but if you dont control the cyano, it can overrun your tank quickly. Youre water most likely has a good amount of phosphate in it. You can remove the cyano by siphon vacuuming it out or blowing it off or sucking it up with a coral feeder/turkey baster. Then you will need to bring the phosphate down by good clean water changes or phosphate removal media. Also make sure you are using clean RO/DI for top off water.

S.gal1122 said:
I heard green algae is bad to have is this true? Within the last 4 days this showed up on my live rock

Did you have that red on the rock already? Cause to me it looks like a start to some good coralline algae growth! But either way an easy fix!

Thanks for all the help guys.

I am using RO water a friend of mine has an ro set up in his garage. I always bust his balls saying its like a meth lab in there. I might be over feeding them I have the "clean up crew" 2 clowns one large one small a orange diamond goby and I horse shoe crab. I haven't seen the horse shoe crab since I put him in there. But I feed them every morning some formula 1 pellets I believe and either a cube of frozen brine shrimp or blood worms like every day. Is that to much?

are you rinsing the frozen food
that stuff has tons of phosphates in it
cut back a little with food 1/2 cube and feed every other day
a good water change wouldn't hurt either

Back
Top Bottom