Is it bad for salt creep to fall back in the tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lespaulguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When I clean my tank, there's always evaporated salt all over the lights, filters ect.
Is it bad is some of it falls into the tank? Or should I even put it all back in ?

If some of the solid salt falls onto corals it can burn them...best to not let it fall back in...only add salt mixed in a separate container already, never directly to tank

Sagacious said:
If some of the solid salt falls onto corals it can burn them...best to not let it fall back in...only add salt mixed in a separate container already, never directly to tank

Your talking about salt creep i usually knock mine back in i have a fill grown sps tank and never had any issues doin that

I never had any issues either. Though it is annoying. I worked on addressing my salt creep issues by putting panty hose on everything that water trickled out of.

Sniperhank said:
I never had any issues either. Though it is annoying. I worked on addressing my salt creep issues by putting panty hose on everything that water trickled out of.

What do you mean by panty hose on stuff? How does that help with the salt creep?

It prevents the water from splashing as it falls into the tank or sump. This splashing causes drops of water to go all over, onto your lights and the side of your tank. That water then evaporates and leaves behind the salt, just like it does in your tank and requires you to top off. Unlike your tank, there isn't a large water source around your lights to absorb that salt, so it stays where it lands. That is your salt creep. Reduce/remove splashing you then reduce/remove salt creep. Nice thing about panty hose is that it will also catch large debris that is in your water so it also acts as a cheap filter.

Salt creep is generally not a good idea to knock back into the tank. It can raise your salinity depending how much you knock in, also any undissolved salt that lands on a coral will burn the coral. Ive had a few run in over the years with chunks of salt creep falling on corals and burning them.

Its best to tank a clothe wet with rodi and wiping down any surfaces weekly were salt creep is building. This helps prevent salt falling into the tank eventually. It only takes salt landing on coral for a few seconds to burn it.

Back
Top Bottom