Is it ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ferchoz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is it ok to add bacteria during the cycle process??? I was at my LFS and the guys told me that by adding bacteria the cycle will be a little shorter and better .... I already have my shrimp in it for a day now!

where would you get the bacteria from? Was he talking about live rock?

Nothing fast happens in saltwater AQ except mistakes. The LFS wants to make money. There are all kinds of additives that LFS says will do all kinds of things. Just keep testing your water and you should be fine. If you got lots of money to waste use the stuff it would maybe shorten the cycle by a couple of days. ;)

If your local LFS guys are so interested in moving you along why not ask them to give you some free used filter material from their setup. Lotsa bacteria there. And you wouldn't need to buy anything. So it works for everyone. You save money and they get to help you.

The shrimp is all you need.

LOL, If it wasnt for this forum I will be getting ripped off back to back!

Is it ok to add bacteria during the cycle process??? I was at my LFS and the guys told me that by adding bacteria the cycle will be a little shorter and better .... I already have my shrimp in it for a day now!

It would work but it would not be better. I agree go with the shrimp.

img_991707_0_9e2a934d6623751c676a6b93aa10128d.gif

Reefing is so much fun.....

Yeah stick with the shrimp, time is all you need!

bacteria in a bottle is lame. A better strategy is to buy cured live rock from all sorts of different regions (Fiji, Tonga, etc.) to sample all different kinds of microorganisms in your tank.

An while you are waiting for your tank to cycle, catch up on all your reading about reef tanks and corals and fish and the time will surely fly by.

there are a few things that you could do:
-you could use some gravel from an already established tank
-you could use some (cured) live rock or sand
-just dont add any of those accelerators (in the bottle), they dont really work.

Sometimes; I truly believe that the LFS believe there propaganda. I think that they are told my the companies that it is good, they say it is good and they make a buck and the customer is happy. Everyone is happy; except it may only save a day or 2.

Back
Top Bottom