Is it possible...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freshwatergal

Aquarium Advice Freak
To make a salt water tank out of a 20 gal long tank? I've always wanted to set up a salt water tank and have a 20 gal long just sitting around. Thanks! :?:

Yep its possible. Infact reefrunner's tank is a 20L. U know the ones he posts photos off all the time in the show off forum.

There are some things that you need to be aware of when doing a tank of that small size. For tanks that size the water quality can fluxuate alot faster than i a larger tank. Such things as temperature and salinty can change throut the day much more freqently than in systems larger than 55 gal. Daily or at the very least every other day toppofs are required to maintain salinity at a somewhat consistant level. Regular water changes would be essential to keep water quality up aswell. I do weekly water changes on my 20 gal.

Also the number of fish that one can keep in the 20 gal will be relitivly low.

None of these factors should discurage you but its important to go into it knowing these things.

Get this FishFreek...

A local LFS (one that has a clue) has a standard 10gallon on their front counter with several medium sized maxima clams and about half a dozen SPS corals. Doesn't take much to light the sucker (a single PC 55 is overkill), so the clams do very well.

That does not suprise me. I got apair of 5 gal tanks that I plan on going nano with once I have some disposable money. I have seen nanos as small as 3/4 gal. :)

Hi Steve,
Can you tell me a little about your 3/4 gallon reefs? I would like to start a 7 or 10 gallon one. Do you have a sump on yours? What creatures are in it? How do you provide for water flow and avoid temperature fluctuation? Thanks!

There is a pic in my gallery of the nano. It is an Azoo that comes with a 7w PC, 60 lt/hr HOB fliter. No sump.. :?

Water flow is soley from the HOB and the temp is kept constant with the light and a temp controled room. I would not suggest something like this for an office or other area where the room temp flucuates alot.

The first one has a pink colt coral, star polyps, green shrooms, razor caulerpa, 1 nassarius, 1 cerith snail and 1 porcelain crab.

The second is much the same except a red shroom and Xenia as well. I tried zoo's but they do not seem to do that well and where transfered back to a larger tank.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks, Steve,
I will have a heater in my nano reef. I had a 1 gallon betta bowl that would not keep a stable temp, so I got a 5.5 gal. tank with a heater for the betta. I'm happy with the way it worked out. I just didn 't think you could go that small (3/4 gal) with the nano!

I'm still reading and trying to figure out sumps. I know it would be good to have, but I'm not really a DIY person, unless I can persuade my hubby to do it! There is a 7 gallon Azoo tank in the DrsFosterSmith catalog that I was thinking of for my reef, maybe without a sump.

Thanks for the coral suggestions also! I have lots more research to do in figuring out my setup!

I have a 20 gallon long and love it. I currently use 2x55watt pc lights but am upgrading to MH/PC combo soon. The only filtration I use is LR with a sand bed and a prizm skimmer. I do 3 gallon water changes weekly and I've never had water chem problems. IMO The main downsides are temperature fluctuations and salinity fluctuations. Due to the small volume of water the temp and salinity will swing quicker than in larger tanks. To offset this I recommend keeping the tank in a room in the house with a stable temp..mine is in a room that gets afternoon sun and it gets too warm. Add fans to the canopy if necessary. To help keep salinity stable look into making an auto-top off system. But just know that with a small tank you are limited in the size and quantity of what you can keep and soon you will be wanting that 55 gallon and then the 100 gallon and then.... 8O good luck

I have a 33 long, same height as the 20l and i would says its been the cheapest best running reef tank ive had and im on #6. I think the key thing to the success of these tanks is the height. Good luck with it and dont spend to much money on it, ya dont need too :wink:

Yes, nano means small. My nano reef will be either 7 or 10 gallons, although I've seen up to 30 gallons referred to as a nano reef.

But compared to the ocean, I guess we all have nano reefs! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom