Is it possible..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willbratz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
To have both red slime and green slime? I think my tank just has "hair algae". Red slime I'm quite familiar with, its a battle in my tank regularly. I've already cut lighting time on the tank made sure the water temp is on point. I make my own water using a 2 stage RO 25GPD setup. I also rinse my filters on the same day I do water changes (Sunday). Feedings are every other day. Nitrates are basically 0.

Yes you can have all kinds of algae growing at the same time. If this is what you want great, if not then i would check your water with a tds meter. Have you checked for phosphates? Can you get more water flow in spots the algae is growing? What kind of lighting do you have? How old are the bulbs? what K temp are they?

From what I have seen, RO water still measures at a minimum of 15-20 TDS, you may want to add a DI filter to your unit if you are able to. The DI portion is what will bring your TDS down to 0. That said, there's a good chance that's where your algae is coming from. If there is a lot of hair algae, then your nitrates will measure at 0 since the algae is taking it all in.

angelfish4 said:
Yes you can have all kinds of algae growing at the same time. If this is what you want great, if not then i would check your water with a tds meter. Have you checked for phosphates? Can you get more water flow in spots the algae is growing? What kind of lighting do you have? How old are the bulbs? what K temp are they?

I'm running this light
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=160882621031&cmd=VIDESC
Bulbs are maybe a year older. However, by end of week I'll be switching over to
http://www.aquacave.com/48-Aqualight-Pro-2x250W-HQI-Fixture-by-Coralife-P755.aspx

I have not checked my phosphates, but I will before and after my weekly water change here in about 30 minutes.

Forgive me but what is a tds meter?

I'm running a
http://sicceus.com/voyager.html
Voyager 2.

I think I may be lacking flow on the right side of my tank, as I'm only running one Voyager 2.

Now, the hair algae is MINIMAL, and my real concern is how to keep Red Slime from coming back every couple of months :)

Qube said:
From what I have seen, RO water still measures at a minimum of 15-20 TDS, you may want to add a DI filter to your unit if you are able to. The DI portion is what will bring your TDS down to 0. That said, there's a good chance that's where your algae is coming from. If there is a lot of hair algae, then your nitrates will measure at 0 since the algae is taking it all in.

I don't think I can add to my RO filter.
CORALIFE RO UNIT
this is basically my filter...

Ok here's my test prior to water change
Phosphate 0.25
Calcium 380 ppm
Nitrates 40 ppm (have no idea how it spiked)
dKH 143.2

Just did a 15 gallon change on the 55. I'll retest in about an hour and post results..

Back
Top Bottom