Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Is it possible?

Left for training for 2 months, and so no water changes were done. My protein skimmer stopped working for those two months. I have an outbreak of green algae throughout my whole tank. Some of my best hard corals have bleached out completely and some are partially bleached.

Is it possible for the partially bleached to recover? Also, does anyone know if a product that can help get rid of all the green algae? I'll post pictures this afternoon, thanks.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich42082 View Post
Left for training for 2 months, and so no water changes were done. My protein skimmer stopped working for those two months. I have an outbreak of green algae throughout my whole tank. Some of my best hard corals have bleached out completely and some are partially bleached.

Is it possible for the partially bleached to recover? Also, does anyone know if a product that can help get rid of all the green algae? I'll post pictures this afternoon, thanks.
Well the first thing you need to do is a full panel test. Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, temp, salinity, pH, calcium, alk, and mag.

Second thing to do is a 50% waterchange. The algae is from a gross buildup of nutrients while youve been gone. Removing the nutrients will be you first battle alone with rebalancing out calcium alk and mag through water changes. I would do a 50% change every couple days while also manually removing algae. The algae is going to be the prime source of nutrients until it is gone.

Also how were your fish getting fed?

Old 12-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My wife was feeding them. My wife is pregnant and was unable to do the water changes, for those wondering. Ammonia is at 0.25 after water change. My PH is at 7.8 in working on raising that now. My calcium and alk is low I'm also raising that.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes it is possible to recover a half bleached LPS and SPS. but recovering half bleached SPS is almost impossible, cuz a lot of times it will just spread thru out the branches in very short time. As for LPS, I usually will cut of the dead "heads" and try to let the half bleach one try to recover under the best condition possible. I only able to recover RBTA from fully bleached, but they aren't really corals. lol
oyf709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks, here's a picture of this disaster.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2229037917.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	139335
Old 12-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

smaller clown would mean that it will get bully till death if you introduce into a tank with larger clown.
It will get stress by the new aqua scaping and also bully, the stress level is enough to kill it

oyf709 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com