Is it possible to kill LR ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RubixCube

Aquarium Advice Activist
I’m wondering if lr can be killed. I’m using it to cycle my tank 16lbs in a 77gal. My Ammonia has been high (4) ever since I put it in *tank has been cycling since Nov 19. Now there is white filmy stuff growing over it in places. Should I be concerned?

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/filterselection/a/aa111901_4.htm- I have included this website that speaks to you in details on how to cure live rock, if indeed they die. I question to you is: did you get Live rock from whomever the source was or did they lie to you. Anyways, to answer your question, no you shouldn't worry about the white filmy stuff, just make sure that they are live rock since if you are only depending on them to cycle your tank thats vital.

Take care and if you have further questions, HOLLA.

IF the rock had no life on it, there would not be any die off........what the white filmy stuff is is die off of life forms. Keep it well circulated. lights off or on minimally. temp at normal tank temps. It will most likely start to smell. The ammonia spike is normal, followed by a nitrite spike.If it has been cycling JUST since the 19th, you are barely started on the cycle. You have about a minimum of
three weeks left to go in my best guess.

Hang in there!

Just as an additional reference we have an article on curing live rock in our articles area aswell.

About the only way to truly KILL live rock would be to soak it in bleach or let it sit out in the sun and air for a week.

High ammonia will put a serious hurting on the life that came on the rock but It wont kill it entierly as technicly the bactera that will end up utilizing the ammonia lives on the rock and that technicly makes it live rock.

Back
Top Bottom