Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

It may be possible but to be brutally honest,..take your time,invest your money in good equipment and don't cut corners,...if you go the " cheap" rout it'll only end up costing you more in the long run.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

agreed research is key, i've found a few diys with google on how to repair leaky aquariums. in my opinion buying a used tank is probably the most cost effective way to setup an aquarium, you just might have to take some time replacing all the seals for piece of mind

Old 01-26-2011, 08:42 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes $40 is the cost to bring it somewhere and have it done. I would much rather pay someone $40 to do it than buy bits for $20 and risk messing it up. It is a one time thing, not on going. You can definitely have this done for under a grand, I did, so you can too. For $250 I recommend a Vertex skimmer.

***Pics now on profile***
rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:44 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
Under a grand? FOWLR, yes. Reef, no.
i agree, lights alone for a 150 (good ones that are worth the money) will probably be close to a grand for a reef, tack on LR and your over. not to mention the skimmer, corals, etc.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:46 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Not to mention, I did it under a grand with lighting fixture and bulbs all brand new. If you wait to buy your lights you will be able to do it under a grand very easily.

And I did it all without cutting any corners what so ever. Another expense I would consider buying is an RO/DI unit. Since you will be needing a lot of water it is much easier to have your own than to buy RO/DI water. You can find an RO/DI unit for $100 on sale.

***Pics now on profile***
rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Just ordered my RO/DI unit this past weekend, looking at some lights, going to break it up into a couple of purchases over a few months and I should be alright. Just didn't want to break the bank with one large purchase over a grand or two.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Take your time and think out every aspect of the process. You can simplify things and have more maintenance or solve most potential problems and have less maintenance.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:22 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I know it's easy to spend someone else's money, but as pretty fishies stated, take your time and think things out beforehand,.... Don't buy something because it's cheap,..buy something because it's good,...it'll probably cost less in the long run..... Good luck on your project!
Old 02-02-2011, 02:21 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Check craigslist. I've seen many setups that people have had for years and claim they spent $6000 and they sell it for $800-1,000. You could do that and just sell what you don't use.

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

CL is a good source. I'm paying $550 for 125g complete established setup with fish, LR, sand, inverts, sump, etc. However, I needed some equipment, replacement sand and I wanted to build a custom stand. So, in the end, I'm paying more than $1,500 or so, but I'm getting an up and running system from the jump.

Note - Part of the 1500 is 420 to move it... If you are so inclined, you can move it yourself. I just didn't want to chance it.

We're here to help. If you want to discuss one piece of equipment at a time, I'll chime in. We can probably point you to the best price easy.

Off top, Dr Fosters & Smith, HelloLights, BigAlsonline and Ebay are great places to save.

Tags
150 gallon, 50 gallon, fowlr, reef, reef tank, set up, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com