Is it possible to set up my 150 gallon tank as a FOWLR/Reef tank for under a grand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MTWiley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a stacked 150 gallon glass tank, stacked on a 50 gallon acryllic tank, with a ~30 gallon hex tank that was used as the sump with the stand, canopy, some lights, a heater, and a few power heads off of Craigslist for a steal of a deal $350 for it all.

I want to start a Saltwater/Reef tank, and my girlfriend wants to start a Discus tank so we've come to a compromise. The top tank will be a salt water/reef tank, and the bottom tank will be a freshwater. I've been tasked with redoing to the plumbing and getting it all set up. The 150 glass tank isn't drilled, but the 50 gallon acryllic tank on the bottom is.

I've kept freshwater fish before with pretty good success, but I've always wanted to try my hand at salt/reef. What do you guys think it would realistically cost to get the whole system up and running? Would it be possible to keep it under a grand?

You can check out some pictures of the setup here if you're interested.

You can do a reef tank under a grand for sure.

Drill a hole costs $40, get an overflow box for $100.

Pick up a protein skimmer for $250 and a return pump for $100.

This is all new, if you go used even cheaper. That is all you need to get started plus a bucket of salt $80 and then LR 100lbs or so will cost $300-$400 new or go on kijiji and get it for $2 lbs.

LR will be your major expense.. one your tank is all drilled filled with water and sand and LR and is cycled, then you can worry about lights. Ligths will run you roughly $500-$800 for T5 HO. for a 150 you will need at least 48 inch 8 bulb fixture. You can order Tek light fixture online for $400 then get your bulbs.

So yes it will cost you roughly a grand but it will be well worth it. And you dont have to buy it all at once either.

Is the $40 to drill a hole the cost of a bit to do it myself? or to take it somewhere and have them drill it?

Also is there a protein skimmer for around 250 that you would recommend?

The lights you can get later and you can do FOWLR till you have some more money then get the lights and you have your reef.

E-bay has drill bits from china... I drilled my tank and it turned out good... if I was more patient I wouldn't have chipped the glass... you can check it out on my thread if you want... with drilling your own holes you want to make sure you have it wet at all times otherwise it will heat up and cause problems, also the water helps to get the glass dust away.

To be realistic, I don't see this happening for under a grand.

Create a spreadsheet and list everything you need, add it up and see where you are. I did a 90 a while back and that was $2k even using a lot of secondhand parts and equipment.

i can see it happening for under a grand, a used tank then you redo trhe seals for 10 bucks for the cost of the silicone, youcan prob get a bit to drill the hole for the sump at homedepot as well as the silicone. the lighting is the most of the expense, to be honbest, and i would stay away from aquarium built lights and either do a retro conversion or build your own lighting, just got to an electrical supplier

Also the newspaper classifieds and craigslist are your friend, just make sure you research what you are getting.

It may be possible but to be brutally honest,..take your time,invest your money in good equipment and don't cut corners,...if you go the " cheap" rout it'll only end up costing you more in the long run.

agreed research is key, i've found a few diys with google on how to repair leaky aquariums. in my opinion buying a used tank is probably the most cost effective way to setup an aquarium, you just might have to take some time replacing all the seals for piece of mind

Yes $40 is the cost to bring it somewhere and have it done. I would much rather pay someone $40 to do it than buy bits for $20 and risk messing it up. It is a one time thing, not on going. You can definitely have this done for under a grand, I did, so you can too. For $250 I recommend a Vertex skimmer.

Not to mention, I did it under a grand with lighting fixture and bulbs all brand new. If you wait to buy your lights you will be able to do it under a grand very easily.

And I did it all without cutting any corners what so ever. Another expense I would consider buying is an RO/DI unit. Since you will be needing a lot of water it is much easier to have your own than to buy RO/DI water. You can find an RO/DI unit for $100 on sale.

Just ordered my RO/DI unit this past weekend, looking at some lights, going to break it up into a couple of purchases over a few months and I should be alright. Just didn't want to break the bank with one large purchase over a grand or two.

Take your time and think out every aspect of the process. You can simplify things and have more maintenance or solve most potential problems and have less maintenance.

I know it's easy to spend someone else's money, but as pretty fishies stated, take your time and think things out beforehand,.... Don't buy something because it's cheap,..buy something because it's good,...it'll probably cost less in the long run..... Good luck on your project!

Check craigslist. I've seen many setups that people have had for years and claim they spent $6000 and they sell it for $800-1,000. You could do that and just sell what you don't use.

CL is a good source. I'm paying $550 for 125g complete established setup with fish, LR, sand, inverts, sump, etc. However, I needed some equipment, replacement sand and I wanted to build a custom stand. So, in the end, I'm paying more than $1,500 or so, but I'm getting an up and running system from the jump.

Note - Part of the 1500 is 420 to move it... If you are so inclined, you can move it yourself. I just didn't want to chance it.

We're here to help. If you want to discuss one piece of equipment at a time, I'll chime in. We can probably point you to the best price easy.

Off top, Dr Fosters & Smith, HelloLights, BigAlsonline and Ebay are great places to save.

Back
Top Bottom