Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-13-2008, 03:18 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
It is totally possible that the cured LR and LS may have skipped the cycle. I you are already adding pellets and not seeing ammonia, I would say you are cycled.

Age is relative, you are only as old as you act....of course, this works in reverse....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Acronym List

roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:50 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by Derdy88 View Post
well i took more tests today in better light and discovered that my NITRATE lvl is in between 5 and 10 PPM does this mean it cycled since nitrite turns into nitrate
Assuming you started with water that had 0 ppm nitrates in it, yes... this means your tank is cycled. You got it... the ammonia turns to nitrites, and the nitrites turn to nitrates. So if your source water has NO nitrates in it, the nitrates have to be coming from the whole nitrogen cycle thing happening.

And just FYI, using "cycled" water really doesn't do anything. The bacteria live mostly on the rocks, glass, and sand and don't really hang out in the water. Regardless, it sounds like your tank is good to go!

Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:32 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular
alrighty guys thanks so much for your help muchly appreciated. getting my new ballast on monday so i will be throwing in some coral on tuesday and then prob go get my two clown next weekend ( just over a week from now ). so untill then i will be reading as much as i can about eveything possible. ill let you guys know how my coral goes im getting a couple mushrooms some kenyi trees and some waving fingers. then ill let you know how the clowns like their new home.
one more question about my skimmer i had alot of issues with it at first its only been running for a week now. at first it would keep overflowing because of air in the ruturn line to i shortenned the return line and that seemed to have fixed the problem. for only a short periode of time prob like an hour or so i was getting skimmate from the skimmer so that was a good sign but then it stopped producing it all of a sudden is this normal ? and i just put in a power head to move more water in the tank and now my skimmer is filling my entire tank with little bubbles? will this go away because i never see this in other SW tanks
Derdy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:36 PM   #14
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Usually skimmers need a week or two break in period IME
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:25 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
You should post a picture.... Maybe someone could tell you what it is exactly
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:57 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a one gallon tank that i got from walmart when i first had freshwater fish, i have saltwater in it now and a small filter which i replaced the filter media w/ ceramic tube looking things that are used for fluval filters as the biological media in the tank i also have a limewood airator . my display tank only has one fish in it, a crab, shrimp and some snails.

in the one gallon, i started to add white ammonia to it, it took me a while to find one that didnt have crap mixed in w/ it but it was worth the find. ( only use pure ammonia w/out any additives ) i added 5ml of ammonia to the tank and waited, after a few days i started to get nitrite levels, indicating that i had bacteria that removed ammonia as my ammonia tests came out undetectable, i slowly started to add more and more ammonia to the water, and eventually 5ml a day which would be undetectable the next day. i had planned when i get a new fish each time to place more and more of the live ceramic media to my display tank to keep the bacteria levels high for the new load.

sadly im using my 1 gallon tank right now for some macro algae because it has a light after making my tank look nasty, and my sump is late in the mail still.

i think this would be a good idea for you because im sure you will later add some more live stock.
Fierro Nights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:09 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak
You might not see any cycle from testing your nitrite and nitrate and ammonia ( assuming your doing the test yourself and correct ) this wont mean your cycled. Theres things going on that you cnat see or test for. Your beneficial bacteria population is growing. You want this population large and strong. This is your first defense for controlling bio loads. 4 to 6 weeks is best for this and then adding stock slow means your bacteria will adjust with growth.
lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:44 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular
that is why i put about 10 hermits in last week then 3 weeks after they were added i will be putting in 2 clowns
or is that still too soon thanks

Derdy88 is offline   Reply With Quote

cycle, cycled, led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com