Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-13-2008, 12:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

is it really cycled ?

ive had my tank up for just over two weeks now and i did some tests and they show zero for everything did it cycle already or did it even start yet? its a 36 gal with 30 pounds of LR (curred i do believe) 3 inches of sand and i added a bag of live sand with that substrate. i also used this additive called stability and the guy at the LFS all he does is saltwater fish told me with that stuff if used as directed you can add fish after 7 days. is this true or no. now i had bought hermits last week to put in there and they seem fine so if had the lights on 12 hours a day and i have all the filters and skimmer going aswell. tell me if im in the wrong i will take no offense.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:52 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to catmel
Nope, I certainly wouldnt add fish after only a week. You may need to add some grocery store shrimp if you arnt noticing a ammonia spike. What are your levels currently? Ammonia, Nitrite , Nitrate?

Just your average LVT (licenced vet tech) trying to help the world's animals!!
- Melinda
catmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

If the rock was really cured, then you'd see no die off from the rock (which would create ammonia), so in theory your tank might be cycled.

BUT... I like to see something - anything - that tells me things are good. I'd throw in a pinch of fish food, or the cocktail shrimp, and see if you get any ammonia. If you do, then you need to cycle. If no ammonia, but instead you see nitrates after a week or so, then it means you have the good bacteria on your rocks processing that waste and you're good to go.

Stability is just "bottled bacteria" and you'll find debates all over the web as to whether or not these products work. While they might serve as a temporary "boost" to the tank, in my opinion, they don't really populate your tank with a good population of bacteria. Most of those products tell you to keep using their product with every water change. If you just cycle your tank normally, it may take a month or two longer, but you'll never be in doubt that your tank cycled and you'll never have to add any bacteria in a bottle with every water change.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:46 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree 100%, throw in a pinch of food and see if you get any ammonia reading. It should take about 4 days until you see it. Definitely get a liquid test kit.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:54 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

i have a test kit amonia reads 0 nitrate 0 and nitrate 0 ph is 8.3 ive had hermits in there for a week and im feeding them pellets and shrimp daily my tank has been up for twoo weeks not one. its been 1 week since ive had hermits. a budy of mine has had SW tanks for 12 years now and he said he got his 135 gal tank to cycle in 6 days by usuing LR and LS which i did aswell. i also took 15 gallons of his cycled water when i first startedso really i only had to cycle 21gal
Old 08-13-2008, 01:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

well i took more tests today in better light and discovered that my NITRATE lvl is in between 5 and 10 PPM does this mean it cycled since nitrite turns into nitrate
Old 08-13-2008, 01:43 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

If you used cured LR then you should not see much of a cycle. Where did you get your LR and what makes you think it was cured?

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:54 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

well i bought if from my local LFS and he said it was cured when he bought it so i take it its curred
Old 08-13-2008, 01:57 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Most LFS get their LR uncured and they put it in a holding tank to be cured. Whether it stays in their long enough to cure is the question. I would hold off a week or two to be sure.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:23 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

alrighty well ive been looking at the tank everyday and im noticing small things that are gowing on the rock i only have a florecent light on it right now nothing to support coral but i am seeing things getting larger on the rock looks like red sponge

Tags
cycle, cycled, led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com