is it safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NIFTYneil

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok...sorry, but im a total noob at saltwater aquariums and i need some advice. ive just stared my saltwater aquarium and i wanted to know if it would be safe to mix salt into a tank with water in it or is it absolutely essential for me to have to mix the saltwater first before putting it into the tank? i hope this makes sense and thanks in advance for your help.

Belive it or not you made total sense.

:)

It if fine to do your first mixing of saltwater in the tank. But from here on out you need to use a separate container for mixing the saltwater. The reason its ok for the first mixing is because you will not have any fish or corals in the tank at this stage.

The main reason you don't want to add salt directly to an established tank is that the disolving salt both uses oxygen in the mixing process and also can burn soft tissue should the undisolved salt land on it.

also...if i can mix the water in the tank, whats the best way to go about doing this without having all the salt settled on the bottom. thanks again

The method I use for mixing water will work regardless of if your mixing it in a tank or some other container.

First have your heater and some powerheads in the tank to warm up the water (warm water mixes better than cold water) and the water current will also help mix the water.

Use a measuring cup exclusively for the tank and slowly pour the salt into the tank while moving the cup over the water simular to a 'salt shaker'.

This will spread the salt out and most of it should disolve prior to it hitting the bottom of the tank. Any salt that is on the bottom of the tank should disolve in short order.

Allow the tank to sit with the heater and powerheads on for 24 hrs before adding anything living to the tank.

thanks a ton for the help fishfreek. ive done the whole setup and everything seems to be in shape. my specific gravity looks good and its been running clean and stable for a day now. time for some fish!

Back
Top Bottom