Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-11-2005, 09:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to badfish
Is It That Time to add fish???

well my tank has been cycling for the past 4 1/2 weeks using a fishless cycle. after two weeks i added 20LR and 30lb Base. I saw both my ammonia, and nitrite peak and they are both at 0. The Ammonia has been at zero to trace a mounts for at least a week and a half, and my nitrite has been at 0 for three days. PH is a little low at 8.0. Would i be able to add 2 O. Clowns and a small clean up crew? Should i do a water change first. Im so happy cause i can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 09:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Any nitrate?
Sounds good glad to see your taking your time..... The only thing that i see is that you say trace amounts of ammonia still. In a cycled tank you should see 0 amm unless there is something wrong with the tank.
I would play it safe and wait till at least the weekend before adding the fish, checking for amm every day and if you see none add the fish.....
A small WC can be done and a small clean up to start.. in a new tank there may not be enough food/algae for them so start small.
Read up on proper acclimation before adding them..... Good Luck..

What the 60lbs soon ls??? have you added that yet? If not i would hold off on the fish till after you add the LS.....

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 10:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry, i was typing fast. My ammonia has been reading zero for a week, i just looked at my log. when my ammonia was declining my nitrite and nitrate spiked, the nitrite was almost at zero three days ago, and was at zero today. My Nitrate is between 5-10 using the seachem test kit. When i said 60lb of soon to be Livesand, i meant i have 60 lbs of sand and my liverock is currently seeding it, i can see how it is confusing, The sand was added at initial fill. Thanks for your help seaham, i will wait until the weekend.

Old 04-14-2005, 11:00 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

As long as the amm and nitrite is at 0 i would add a clean up crew and fish. And if nitrate is up then a water change is a good idea also. good luck

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 11:17 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd add the clean up crew first. Its cheaper, and just as susceptible to death if your water isn't actually ready. I think it probably is, but I like to play the cautious card.
Dump in some hermits, a cleaner shrimp, let em go a few days, and if all's well, get your clowns.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

what would you recommend for a cleanup crew, diatoms are starting to form. I got 5 blue legs, and two margareta snails, how much more should i get, or is this enough for now.

Old 04-14-2005, 10:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would let them go for a few days, their not going affect water quality, no real bioload. Have you got your pH up yet, that would be my concern. Eventually you'll need more snails.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

PH is still around 8.0, i have powerheads gently breaking water and a glass canopy, any idea on how to raise the PH?

Old 04-15-2005, 04:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Have you tried leaving the canopy open. Glass traps CO2 which can lower pH. Here how to test. Take a cup of tank water test pH then put the cup of water outside exposed to breeze. After an hour test pH of water in cup. If pH went up CO2 is a problem.
What type of water are you using? when I was using tap water I had to use a buffer to keep the pH up when I switched to DI water buffer was not necessary.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I will try that, that is a good idea. My main concern is my cat, i have seen him jump up on it before, so i want to be careful, i was thinkin of using part eggcrate and part glass. I know its bad, but i used tap for my initial fill up, but i will be using ro/di water for top offs and water changes from now on. I had my water tested for phosphate at my LFS and there is no trace, i dont know if this is relevant for PH however.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com