Is it the right time to buy???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

badfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been doing my research for around a week now, and have been looking foward to gettin a tank for years now. I have three main concerns besides the money that are holding me back for right now. they are

1: I am getting married in 6 months and will be going on my honeymoon for 2 1/2 weeks. Closest family is 3 hours away, and just moved to area so dont have any friends as of now that i can trust to come into my house and look after them. Will petstores board fish while im gone. Do you think its wise to wait until after this? can i start i cycle right before i leave so i wont have to worry about fish and skip the whole waiting time for the cycle to finish.

2: I will probably be moving within the next two years, most likely not locally. I realize i may have to get rid of fish, but will the liverock survive for a couple of days while i move? Has anybody think moving is a big concern at this point.

3: i have a cat that just seems to go crazy for my lizards, everytime i feed them hes all over the tank trying to swat the crickets (you think after three years he would realize he cant get them through the glass). He also sits on top of his cage and thats where my concern with the fish tank is, mainly hair or himself falling into the tank.

let me know what you guys and gals think.. I was originally planing to start within the next month or two. a 45 gallon setup.

Im pretty sure you can find a pet store that can feed your fish while you're gone. As far as moving if you package everything properly you can move everything. Online stores ship stuff all the time. You would definately want to keep the trip to 24 hours or less and you should be fine. keep a good lid on your tank and your cat can dream but he won't get in. HTH

IMO I would wait.... I would never have a LFS watch my fish in there tanks.
1- catching fish in a tank with LR, decorations is a PITA
2- LFS do large volume of fish .... parasites, disease....
3- Cat..... I have 2 cats and they are fine with the tank... Get a tank with a canopy and it will be fine.
4- 45 is a nice tank. do you have the tank already? 55-75 is a better starter tank. Not to much to break down and move. Bigger is better with SW tanks, gives you extra water volume for when something happens.
Read , read and read some more then jump in when you get back.
There is a nice group of guys in albany that have a reef club check them out on reefcentral.com...... Capital reefs....... I'm on Hudson Valley reefs....
have a fun and safe trip....

hey guys thanks for your opinions, yeah i am a little skeptical of having someone watch my fish. Would it be alright to start a cycle right before i leave, or do you have to keep a constant watch on it. Whats the longest time you can leave a tank unattended, do people leave there tanks unwatched for 2-3 days, because i often go home to parents house on the weekends every month or two. I was thinking of a 55 gallon tank also, undecided, 75 way to big for my apartment, although i agree and have heard bigger is better. i will look into that club you are talking about. Poughkeepsie aint that far away, thanks for the advice neighbor.

I am getting married in 6 months and will be going on my honeymoon for 2 1/2 weeks
Congrats!!! :D :D :D In six months you will have a fully cycled tank and should know some freinds or neighbors that can pop in and look after your fish every few days. The LFS is a great idea. You might want to hire an aquarium service company to come in once or twice a week for topp-offs and a good inspection while you are gone.
I will probably be moving within the next two years, most likely not locally
Tough one. Moving a tank is a pain in the butt and it is hard on the livestock. I had a SW tank for a couple of years in college but took it down when I graduated. I knew I would be moving around alot and did not want the hassel. I took a five year break from Sw tanks and only started one up again when we bought a house and I knew I would stay in one place for a while (although this hobby has threatened to get me kicked out on mire then one occassion :wink: ). But the choice is up to you, moving a tank is not that bad if you plan for it.
i have a cat
We have two cats and they are sure interested in the fish! Never had a problem though.
Whats the longest time you can leave a tank unattended, do people leave there tanks unwatched for 2-3 days, because i often go home to parents house on the weekends every month or two.
I leave my tanks unattended for 2-3 day weekends all a lot. No trouble.

Hey Lando, Thanks for the good advice. I never thought about an aquarium service to check on them. THanks.

That's what I meant was to see about an aquarium service. I wouldn't let an lfs look after my fish in there tanks either.

yeah, i think an aquarium service is an excellent idea. any idea how many times i should have them come and how much it would cost per visit. For a two week period.

Back
Top Bottom