Is it worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The quarantine is to observe your new fish after their purchase to check for any diseases or parasites that may be unseen to prevent it from spreading to the other fish in your display tank and for easy medication of the sick fish. Usually about 4 weeks unless you see signs of illness.

The QT is also used should any of the fish in the display tank come down with something to avoid spreading the disease.

If it's your first fish then I'm of the opinion that you can go either way. There's nothing else in there for you to harm. On the other hand, should they get sick then your display could be out of commission for some time while you possibly treat it (or let it go fallow) and then treat your fish in a hospital tank.

1 crab will not do it for that tank. Once you get it back up and runnning you need a full clean up crew with snails, crabs, hermits, etc. And you definatly need a skimmer. You might want to consider making a sump.

You don't NEED a skimmer. I haven't run one yet and my water is great, my corals are doing fantastic and my fish are happy. The cost of this hobby scares off a lot of people. If you go slow, do not overstock and do frequent PWC's everything will be fine. go slow and get a skimmer when you can afford it.

You don't NEED a skimmer. I haven't run one yet and my water is great, my corals are doing fantastic and my fish are happy. The cost of this hobby scares off a lot of people. If you go slow, do not overstock and do frequent PWC's everything will be fine. go slow and get a skimmer when you can afford it.

Your right about that. I am sorry, you don't NEED a skimmer. I think it is a good thing to have but he is right, you don't need 1.

30 gallon=30g
20 gallon=20g
1,000,000,000,000 gallon=1,000,000,000,000g

Goes (spelling lol) both ways, you still wouldn't need one on a 30g. You could actually get away without a skimmer on a 40g, but IMO that's pushing it on a reef setup.

Really i don't think you NEED 1 but it does help and keeps your tank healthy.

Back
Top Bottom