Is Live Rock Done Curing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwburleson97

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think my live rock is done curing..wanted to double check..
Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5
It only took 3 weeks in the tank..seems kind of fast so I wanted to check. Also, I think I have a diatom bloom on some of the rocks, should I brush it off? Should I resume lighting schedule (I had them off during curing)? Typically how long before the grayness and white is replaced with color? Calcium is at 420. Thanks

Since nh3/no2 is at 0ppm I'd say yes as long as you experienced a spike of at least 2 ppm for nh3 during the curing. LR usually houses some bacteria from the start which is probably why it cured/cycled so quickly.

Was this bought online and shipped or from your lfs? If you didn't see a nh3 spike then you may still need to cycle the tank before adding stock.

The diatom bloom (caused by the excess nutrients during curing) will die off eventually and lighting can be resumed. A clean up crew would help as long as the tank is cycled.

It looks like you are ready. I'm kind of surprised your nitrAtes are that low. Did you already do a PWC? The diatoms are a good sign and should go away as quickly as they showed up. The greyness turning into colorful coraline will depend on if you have it seeded with rock that has it. Sometimes it can take a few months or over a year depending on your water parameters and the ratio of LR vs. Base rock.

I'd say yes as long as you experienced a spike of at least 2 ppm for nh3 during the curing
Oh YES! It was wayyyyy of the chart.
Was this bought online and shipped or from your lfs
Online LiveAquaria.com 70lb Fiji premium
I did just do the last partial water change per LiveAquaria's instructions.
I have all live rock, no base rock. Can I start putting in a cleanup crew?

Yes, make sure you drip acclimate your inverts for at least 2 hours.

Sounds like you are there!! Remember to go slow when adding your animals. Your tank has to catch, (or your bacteria I should say) up to the increased bio-load. Can you take a few minutes and fill in your "my info" so we will know a little more about your tank.

Yes, make sure you drip acclimate your inverts for at least 2 hours.
OK, good to know, I've grown quite attached (no pun intended) to these little buggers.
Can you take a few minutes and fill in your "my info" so we will know a little more about your tank
Whoa, that's weird..I was just doing that!
Remember to go slow when adding your animals
There is one thing I have learned, I am in absolutely no hurry to do anything in this hobby. Everytime I've done that bad things have happened, LOL!
I've got a question about water circulation and turnover, should I start a new thread?

jwburleson97 said:
I've got a question about water circulation and turnover, should I start a new thread?
I would start a new thread. It makes it easier. I agree with taking time, I started my 125 in Nov and still only have one fish in it. I should be done aquascaping this weekend...then off to LFSs for some goodies! LOL!

jwburleson97 said:

I would start a new thread as others will see your current title about LR curing and not know you are talking about your new subject.

jwburleson97 said:
Doesn't matter really IMO since it's your thread but it does help organize threads better :D

Generally total gph turn over should be around 15-20 times the tank size i.e. your 55 should have 800-1200 gph total. This can vary with coral needs though. (high flow corals can need up to 30 times turnover) I'd at least aim for a 15 times turnover.

Back
Top Bottom