Is my clean up crew to small?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patroklos

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is sort of a newbie question so i am putting it in the newbie forum ;)

I currently have a 65gal tank with the specifics noted in my sig, it has been running for four months and this is what I have for a CUC:

10 Astraea snails
10 nassarius snails
2 Emerald Crabs
2 Electric Blue Hermits (medium)
2 Halloween Hermits (medium)
3 Blue Leged Hermits (small)
1 Scarlet Hermit (small)
1 Dwarf Zebra Hermit (small)
1 Black Brittle Star (small)

I am currently coming out of an extreme hair algea bloom which I am fighting mostly through starving my fish and doing a 25% PWC every day (!). I am wondering if perhaps a more robust CUC might help share the burden, I would love to make it to happy hour for once instead of rushing home to get enough RO/DI water made.

So, can/should my tank be supporting a larger CUC?

More livestock is basically a bandaid solution. Best to find out what`s causing it and remove the source. When you are doing PWC`s are you siphoning out as much hair algea as possible?

Yeah, at one point I was taking out a pound of hair algea a day. I found that odd because I have added less than a pound in food total to the tank since it started four months ago! In any case, by spending every waking moment doing water changes I have the problem under control. I am just curious as to, in general, whether that list above is about right for a 65g reef tank.

Oh, and I forget:

1 Fighting Conch.

Seems like a good sized cuc for that tank to me. Adding more won't help your hair algae problem though. Not very many things i can think of that would even touch hair algae except possibly a scorpas tang or some rabbit fish. Both of which would be to big for a 65 gal. Like melosu said just gonna find the source of the nutrients and take it out that way. I've read your other posts and your doing the right things. Just takes a while to get rid of.

I wich I knew the source, as far as I can tell they are magically appearing out of thin air. I literally add nothing to the tank, my fish are going to start starving to death soon!

You could easily double the number of snails in your tank. As others have said, it won't help the hair algae, but it won't hurt either.

Back
Top Bottom