Is my coral dead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dorylvr59

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new to the saltwater world, and very inexperienced! I have a coral that was given to me, told it was a brain coral, but I'm not sure. Appeared healthy at first, but is losing it's color, and has a reddish/slimy algae growth on it. Is it dead/dying and can I do anything for it? These are before and after pics. Also I have small creatures scampering around the rock when I first turn the lights on. Seem almost shrimplike, but they're tiny. Haven't been able to find anything on the net that looked quite like them. Could they be amphipod/copepod?

Attachments

• coral.jpg
    coral.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 279
  • sick coral.JPG
    sick coral.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 214
It looks like it's bleaching. That doesn't mean it's dead, but could be dying. I would place it somewhere with more flow because it looks like Cyanobacteria is growing on it, which kills it too. Did you acclimate it to your light source?

Here again.. very inexperienced, lol. Acclimate it to my light source? I have the same light as the tank it came from originally. I will try moving it to higher flow. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom